Caring for a Dog and Her Puppies

So my best friend's dog just had 13 puppies about 3 weeks ago. Two of them died so now she only has 11 and despite her being very small the other 11 have survived. She feeds them very well and she's a great mom. The kids are always hungry and every time she lays down they pretty much attack her to eat so we've decided to help her and feed some of the babies at times. That that way it can take a load off her. She was eating normally and everything, but a couple days ago she began hiding and passing really stinky farts.

Now she doesn't want to eat and she looks like she's deprived of food. I know that she's weak because she looks it. I can see her ribs and her boobs are like extremely huge. I just don't know what to do to help her out. Somebody please help me; I don't want her to die. She still tries to feed her puppies and her being a great mom has not stopped, but she's just not herself.

Best Answer

She needs a high calorie diet. There are foods for lactating dogs. I would contact a vet to make sure she doesnt have any complications from giving birth.

Best Answer

What you have described could be any number of emergencies for your friends dog. Any number of them could be fatal if she is not treated immediately. You need to get her to a Vet. You also could try the Humane Society in your area, or a local rescue group. If you cannot pay for treatment you can sign over the dog to the Humane Society and she will be treated. Whatever you choose to do, do it right away, like today.

She needs to see a vet. It could be worms, blockage in her GI track, anemia or any number of things.