WildlifeGreen Living

Caring for an Injured Wild Finch

My husband rescued a finch that got hit by a car a block from our house. He is eating, but he doesn't want water. How can I get him to drink water? What kind of cage can I put him in during the night time until his wing is healed? He can't fly and when he stands he sometimes falls sideways. He is missing feathers on one wing.

I suggest calling either a wild life rescue or your local vet (find one who specializes in birds) to get the best answer as you don't want to do anything that will cause harm.

Eating is a good sign, but drinking is questionable...I know some wild birds get their water from food...but domestic birds need water sources...my friend who raises the domestic ones is out of town, so I can't get my expert's opinion.

That is why the vet or wild life rescue can give you the best answer!!

Post back what you learn!

I would call the wildlife rehabilitation center or a vet. Different finches have different requirements. Most eat grains and bugs. Keep him warm.

a vet or wildlife refuge is your best option

and in general animals who are wild do not do well in captivity so you would probably never get it to heal living in captivity