Caring for an Umbrella Tree?

How do I care for an umbrella tree? I found one that is almost a yard tall. Someone left it in my garbage room and it is in great shape. It is root bound and very thirsty. I gave it a nice drink today of my super vitamin water that I make for my cannabis plants (water, banana skins, and avocado shells) that I let sit for days. I figured that I would give it a nice drink before transplanting.

How do I take care of it in the winter? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Great plant! Just a word of warning...if someone got rid of it, just be sure it does not have bugs before putting it with your other plants. I did this one (I am always rescuing plants) and one rescue had aphids that spread to several of my others before I finally figured it out. It was a big mess.

If the plant is clean and bug free, Umbrella Trees are very low maintenance.

They do need transplanted when every few years.

They are NOT water hogs...only water when they are dry.

They do not need fertilized, but that you gave them something should not hurt, I just would avoid future feedings.

Mine did well in indirect morning sun. Maybe others on this site have had luck in other light settings, but that always worked for me.

They tend to get a lot of dead leaves. Just pinch them off and it will be happier.

Thank you for your advice! In my apartment building people are always throwing away plants because of the amount of tenant traffic changing hands! It is a plant lovers feast in the summer!

They are happy with some light and regular watering.

Thank you for your advice! I have her in indirect late afternoon sun now and she seems happy in her new home.

The Umbrella Tree can brighten up a room and needs very little attention.

I would suggest you maybe lay the tree on its side and rinse well with your garden hose before bringing it into your home - or even a bucket of water.

When transplanting, be sure to use loose soil and be sure the new container has very good drainage. Since this will be in your home, you may have to give this some thought and be sure you have a good under pan to catch any run off but never let it sit in water.

These like just slightly wet soil so be careful with watering.
Very little fertilizer, if any - is needed.
Likes indirect light and will get 'leggy' if light is too low.

Here are some links with full care instructions.

www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../schefflera-plant-care.htm

www.apartmenttherapy.com/umbrella-plants-our-best-tips-for...

Thank you for your advice and the links! Wow so much to learn on my first " foreesst" (pun intended!) into having plants!

Plants are awesome!! They make a house a home and are good for cleaning the air.

Enjoy your new green babies!! I love your pun!!!! Happy finding too! I love rescuing green babies!

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsAugust 15, 2019
🌻
🐛
👒
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Caring-for-an-Umbrella-Tree-1.html