Cat Peeing on Countertops?

I went away and my cat got mad. He peed in the dish drainer. The cat sitter cleaned it out with Clorox, but the day I came back he did it again. I threw it away.

Then last night he jumped on the counter and peed in the fruit bowl. This is getting expensive. He knows the counters are off limits, so he is clearly acting out.

What will work as a cat repellent that isn't a spray? I was told moth balls, but I hate to put them in my fruit bowl. Help.

By Joanie from Mill Valley, CA

Best Answer

If the cat is doing this only when you are away from home, confine the cat to a room with door closed like a utility room. Put a throw rug down for the cat to lay upon, the water/feed bowl, litter box and toys. That way when you must leave, the cat will be come used to this room. Turn a radio on so the cat doesn't feel so alone and perhaps things will improve.

Whoever keeps telling people to confine your cat because theyre peeing on the counters, Youre an IDIOT!!! Confining any animal is going to increase the cats stress and can cause harm. Stop giving advice when you have no idea what youre talking about.

Best Answer

Thanks all. I did take him to the vet, and he had too high (?) a PH, so he is on acidifiers.

He wasn't angry, just in pain. Hopefully this will take care of the problems. Thanks for suggestions.

So, I'm thinking that you went away for a longer period of time, like for a vacation? Don't use mothballs, they can injury your cat's kidneys and cause death to your pet. Call you vet and ask how to handle it or do an internet search. It may be a urinary tract infection or just your pet being stressed from your absence. Occasionally, my cat will pee on our downstairs tub drain. Maybe once or twice a year for no reason. I think he's just marking his territory to let us know that he rules our house. I've talked to his vet and he has no medical problems. I'm just so glad he does it where it has no residual effects; the tub is so easy to clean!

Hi Joanie,
I worked at South Novato Animal Hospital in Novato for many years. I suggest you get your fur baby a urinalysis.

There might be something going on. Please take him in. You can get an appt there if you do not have a Vet. Dr. Dahlman is a cat expert.

My cat gets so stressed when I leave for vacation that he comes down with a urinary tract infection. Really this can happen. So perhaps your cat got itself so upset that it made itself sick. Please find out, he could really be in pain and trying to tell you.

Needs vet. Probable UTI.

I don't know what to do about the cat, but do not use mothballs. They smell just as bad as cat urine, and are poisonous to you as well as to the cat.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use Mothballs it will injure your cats or cause death. See a vet its likely a kidney condition that can be easily and quickly treated. Good Luck!

Pets CatsFebruary 2, 2010
💘
🍀
Generated 2021-01-14 20:09:47 in 679 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cat-Peeing-on-Countertops.html