Cauliflower Au Gratin Recipes

Category Vegetables
A rich cheese sauce is delicious with most vegetables. This page contains cauliflower au gratin recipes.

I love subbing cauliflower for potato in many recipes. It's much lighter altogether, and packed with essential vitamins. Making them au gratin is one of my new favourite ways to use them. I hope you try this rich and creamy side dish!

One of these is cheese-free here as my father doesn't eat cheese. If you're going to make the whole pound of cauliflower cheesy, use 1 cup of cheese instead of the 1/2 I used here. For the cheesy one, I sprinkled the top with shredded cheese because I enjoy it a bit crispy. If you prefer an all-over creaminess, fold the cheese into the white sauce before you bake it.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

• 1 lb cauliflower florets
  • 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 Tbsp flour
  • 1 1/2 cup half & half
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 3 Tbsp chopped parsley

1. Loosely cover the cauliflower in a dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can boil it in a pot of water for 5 minutes, just make sure you drain it completely.
  2. Fry the onion slices in the butter over low heat.
  3. When the onions soften, add the flour.
  4. Continue to fry until it's no longer powdery, about 5 to 6 minutes.
  5. Remove the pan from the heat and add the half & half.
  6. Return pan back over low heat, stirring constantly until it's thick and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Stir the cauliflower into the white sauce.
  8. I made one with cheese, one without, so I used 2 smaller baking dishes. Sprinkle one with cheese. Top both with chopped parsley. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Break cauliflower into florets and steam in small amount of boiling water until barely tender. Drain and mash coarsely.

This is one of my favorite vegetable recipes!