Chickpea Chip Cookies
Make classic chocolate chip cookies healthier with the addition of a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans. Your kids will never know the difference.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This simple cookie recipe is actually healthy! Just in time for summer fun! Great alternative to unhealthy chocolate chip cookies.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: About 30 cookies
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I made my own with older apples I had in my fruit dish)
- 3/4 cup low sodium canned chickpeas, mashed (I used dried chickpeas and cooked them overnight in my crock pot)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or you can use dried cranberries or raisins if you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
- Combine oats, flour, flaxseed, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and applesauce until smooth. Add mashed chickpeas, egg and vanilla; combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet in small batches.
- Fold in chocolate chips (or dried fruit).
- Using rounded tablespoons, drop cookies onto greased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1-2 minutes and then transfer cookies onto wire racks.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.