Chipmunk Information and Photos

Category Wildlife
Chipmunks are the smallest member of the squirrel family. All but one species can be found romping about in North America. This is a guide about chipmunk information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Sassy is a 3 year old Chipmunk. Sassy ended up as a baby on our deck 3 years ago, from then on, he has lived under a stump beside the deck but comes to sit with us each time we are out. He arrives back each spring.

How do we know it is the same pet chipmunk? He was almost taken away by a hawk the first year. We managed to scare the hawk enough to let Sassy go but not without taking off half of his left ear. That is how we know it is the same chipmunk.

Sassy will run up onto your lap, over your shoulders to head then down again, looking for his sunflower treats. Then he will sit on your lap letting you pet him.

He loves to sit on my laptop while I try to do my work around him! Sassy knows the sound of the front door opening so most times he is there before we get outside. Many times he will run into the entrance area, wait to see if we have his feed cup with us, then runs back outside to sit on one of our chairs just waiting!

By Darlene Johnson

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 28

Photo Description
Every morning I put out wild bird seed for a few squirrels and birds that I've been feeding for awhile now, not to mention probably some of their offspring.

One morning I noticed a lone chipmunk scurrying rather quickly across my back deck eating some of the seeds that got blown off my deck railing.

I was amazed at how fast it scampered away when he heard anything. I felt sorry for this little guy and didn't think it was fair that I fed the squirrels and birds and not him.

I also noticed he was drinking out of my dog's outside water bowl, too.

I started leaving little piles of seed on the deck just for him and he was the cutest thing to watch every morning.

I started tapping on the window to get him use to seeing me near the glass so I could photograph him and though I got some decent shots he was just too darn fast.

This morning when I opened up the blinds I noticed right away that he was sitting there watching and waiting. It totally amazed me and made me feel guilty that I slept late and hadn't put any food out yet.

After putting the food out I started snapping pictures like I always do and for one magical moment, it seemed like he actually sat up and very patiently waited for me to take his picture.

Excited about my Kodak moment, the batteries in my camera died and I made a mad dash for my other camera and was totally amazed that he was still there when I got back.

If I didn't know better, it seemed like the chipmunk wanted his Kodak moment too.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Alvin is a Chipmunk. We just recently moved into a campground for the summer. This little fellow greeted us within days of arriving.

He is the camp unofficial welcoming host. My husband John, decided to name him Alvin.

Comment Like this photo? 19

I was very still to be able to catch a photo of these skittish and quick cuties.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 15