Cleaning Mouse Urine out of Oven

I want to start by saying that we are clean people. This past winter was very cold because of the polar vortex. To our dismay, we had a visitor that explored our stove. A mouse, eek! To an even bigger dismay, we realized that when we tried to use the oven, it stank to high heaven. To make a long story short, this is how you clean it. Trust us, we tried everything.

Clean the oven thoroughly. Remove broiler drawer and clean underneath that. Slide out oven and clean the floor. You'll be surprised how much a mouse can squish down and get under anything! Now that that is done, it's time to get the stink out. We boiled two pots of 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar in the oven. You will notice it still stinks but bear with it. Start on the broil setting and, after an hour, move to 350 degrees F. Once you notice that the smell is mostly gone, add something fragrant to the water pot in the oven. I used rosemary sprigs and lavender oil. Leave it on for another hour and you should be good to go.

I think the most important part of this is making sure that you cleaned up all the deposits left behind from the animal otherwise you will just be cooking it. (barf) Also make sure you have your windows open and fans going, as it can be overwhelming. Good luck.

Do you know if it's dangerous for those fumes of the urine my location was really bad of the smell under the stove range now I'm afraid I think I might have to throw the stove out

I am trying this suggestion right now. I am curious how this is going to work because the fan in the oven turns on whenever it starts steaming up, but maybe it will get more intense as it boils. The smell is awful even with windows open.

I hope this isnt toxic to breathe. I thought about leaving to run an errand, but I have never left anything to broil for this long so I dont feel comfortable doing anything but sitting here and trying not to get sick from the noxious odors.

I tried this remedy and it improved the smell, but did not eliminate it. The insulation inside the right side of the oven between the walls still gives off a smell of cooking rat urine when we try to cook. It doesn't smell up the entire house now, just the immediate area in the kitchen, but regardless, we will have to throw out this oven. I have done this remedy twice for several hours broiling each time. This did not really work.

Thank you so much for this information. We all but tore our stove apart and found nothing. Then my husband removed the burners and lifted the top up. In the area where there is a small insulation pad for the front controls above the oven, there was a mouse nest!!!! We vacuumed that all out and cleaned the entire surface with 50/50 white vinegar and water.

Then I followed your instructions by broiling a large skillet of 50/50 white vinegar and water for 1 hour. Then I did the water @ 350 degrees for about 2 hours. Most of the odor was gone by then. I added several drops of rosemary oil to water and "baked" for another 1. I am happy to say that the odor is not detectable now. Thank you so much. I was planning to ask Santa for a new stove!!!

Thank you so much! Vinegar with heat and then lavender essential oil with fresh thyme sprigs worked brilliantly and in your time frame.

oh THANK YOU! the smell arrgh..peppermint ess. oil keeps mice away. translucent plastic "micebox" traps get them eventually so one can deport them far away :) no bait needed. check frequently. also one may have to replace the insulation above oven where the little guys like to nest and/or get nesting material; they pee while they work. we took the whole darn range apart and scrubbed...twice.sigh..then i had an invasion in my garage after a neighbor who stored a lot of feed grain moved out - they came to me..strangely enough they jumped into an empty plastic bucket where they could not get out...don't know why..maybe they fell.

Anyhow i deported daily about 6-8 (!) for about 2 weeks. take them far away so, they are clever and come back "home" to their families and comfort. My cat observed all this activity with freat interest, and took care of a few himself. unfortunately sometimes he brings them home and loses them! good luck. no need to kill. or hurt them.

Thank you! Trying it now. Fingers crossed. These mice are making me wacko.

I'm pretty sure it worked! I did as directed, turned off my gas, pulled the oven from the wall cleaned a lot of mouse waste from underneath and behind the oven. It looked like there was a lot of urine on the tile. For my fragrance, I used rosemary sprigs and lemon. Thanks again for the post; I think my self-dignity is intact again.

Thank you thank you for taking time to post this valuable advice! I'm pretty sure it worked. It took 2 dedicated evenings. Last night I cleaned up the insides of the ovens ( we have a double-decker) GROSS GROSS GROSS. I did as directed. Tonight, I turned off gas. Pulled stove away from the wall. There was a lot of mouse waste underneath and what looked like whole dried puddles of mouse urine. Attacked that. Then went back again into those ovens and pulled off some internal covers for the heating elements- found more piles of turds and urine.

GROSS GROSS again. Washed the huge inside racks. Then went to the boiling vinegar/water stages. Finally got to the end where I added more water, rosemary sprigs and fresh lemons.

I smelled it about an hour later while it was still warm and it smelled clean as a whistle. Hopefully, I wasn't nose blind by that point.

Finally with some kind of self-dignity back intact, I soaked some cotton gauze with peppermint oil and clothes pinned it to the racks.