Cleaning Polyester Clothing

Category Clothing

This popular synthetic fabric holds it's shape well, and requires little ironing. This guide is about cleaning polyester clothing.

My son has white 100% polyester work shirts. I have already used bleach and fabric softener on them, but it is not working. They look dirty all of the time and I can't stand it. What can I do to make them white again?

Answers

Best Answer

Add equal amounts of your detergent and a non chlorine bleach such as Purex 2 to the wash water. Also add one to two cups household ammonia. Use wash water as hot as the fabric will tolerate. Soak for at least an hour. Overnight is even better. Then wash garments in this water, as usual.

Chlorine bleach do a good job of whitening cottons. It has a slight yellowing effect on polyester.

Best Answer

In future, be sure to wash these white things only with other white things. Fabric softener does not whiten fabrics. As the other poster mentioned, bleach works for cottons but not for polyesters. You may also find it helpful to hang them in the sun.

Best Answer

Fabric softener makes whites look dingier. It leaves a film that picks up dirt.
Try putting the dryer on the correct setting for blends with no softener in the future.

Best Answer

You can add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the rinse water to take the static electricity out of polyester. Then you don't need fabric softener.

I love shopping at Goodwill for clothes, but a couple of weeks ago, I was in a hurry and grabbed up a pair of polyester/spandex blend (I think, label gone) khaki colored slacks. I just liked the style of them, needed casual dress pants, just my size, long length.

Well apparently whoever owned the slacks last was short because they were safety pinned in instead of hemming. When I unpinned them, to get the extra length, there was a BLACK line around bottom of each leg! I guess it's from the pants still being too long, therefore dragging on ground, pavement, who knows?

I've tried amonia, washed and dried. I've tried dish detergent, washed and dried. I've also tried vinegar to no avail. Stain has gotten lighter in color, but still there! Please tell me find an inexpensive solution to removing this ring! Thx!

CarolinaGirlOnBudget

Answers

If you know someone that makes homemade soap, buy a bar. It works wonders for removing stains. There is a Castile soap that is sold in stores but I'm not sure of the brand name.

If it seems practically impossible to remove the line, you might consider sewing some kind of decorative strip over the line, such as lace (if dressy) or bias tape or some other type of trim.

I had always heard that if you use lemon juice on the stain it would lift. Since you have done so much to the pants already, what would a little lemon juice matter? Give it a try

I have a stain on the white top to my cheerleading shirt. It is a polyester outfit. The bottom is red, white, and blue. I don't want to use bleach. I tried peroxide and water with no success. It's like dirt or grime?

By Annie from Warwick,RI

Answers

Take a cotton swab and dip it in bleach, then swab the stain. Have the garment laying flat and stand there and watch the stain. If the stain doesn't completely disappear do it again. This should work, then rinse just the top part of the shirt, not the whole thing because that could make the bleach run into the colored part. Hope this will work.

You didn't say what the stain was but I use lemon juice concentrate and salt lay it out flat in the sun to dry. Depending on how bad the stain is you may have to do it more than once. I have used this many times for tough stains everybody says won't come out.
I lay my piece on a towel in the sun and pour the full strength lemon juice on it then table salt it real good and let dry. Re wash after or the spot will be stiff when you wear it.

I just bought a new red polyester scarf; it states to spot clean with mild soap. Can I hand wash it in a basin with Boraxo or what? Anyone have one? It is very lightweight and delicate. Thank you for all responses.

By Flower

Answers

Everybody that I know uses Woolite to hand wash delicates, but what would be wrong with spot cleaning it? Polyester is washable.

Anonymous

I would simply soak it in warm water with mild dish soap, then gently swish around by hand, then shake (not wring) the water out and hang to dry. Polyester isn't delicate except if too hot of an iron is used on it. ;-)

This past weekend at my daughter's cheer competition they were instructed to sit on the floor next to the bleachers. And one by one they all had a dark brown, grayish grease on their uniforms. So having to compete the following day and staying in a hotel this is what I tried so far. First was treatment with Tide to Go at the competition, didn't work. Then at the hotel I tried Dawn which didn't work. Someone suggested shampoo yet again, that didn't work. I even rubbed it with an alcohol swab as a Hail Mary! Also the uniform was been washed in cold water and line dried between each treatment. Please help!

Answers

I would love to know if you ever got it out. My daughter got grease on the skirt of her brand new cheer skirt bottoms and i cant get it out - deb770@yahoo.com

I sprayed a shirt with Static Guard too closely, and now there is a halo stain I can't remove. Any suggestions? I've tried Oxiclean and lots of other removers, with no success so far. It's a polyester sheer fabric.

By Peggy from Quincy, IL

Answers

Try Dawn dish soap with bleach alternative or Oxy, full strength, too cover & go slightly beyond the perimeter of the stain. Let sit a day then wash again. May take a second application, but I find a simple bottle of Dawn has been getting out multiple stains even when they've been dried in!

I have stained some Karen Millen (label states: 66% triacetate and 34% polyester) trousers with creme brulee which hasn't come out with dry cleaning. Any suggestions on how to get this stain out please?

By Jenny B from Oxfordshire, UK

Answers

Anonymous

Sorry to say but since Creme Brulee consists of vanilla, which is a tough stain to remove and you've already had the garment professionally dried cleaned, it most likely is not possible to have it removed completely (maybe possible if you are willing to have a non-dry clean solution) so at least take the garment back to the dry cleaners first but let them know that you did not originally tell them what the stain was for them to be able to pretreat (which most likely would have removed the stain) and ask if there is maybe a way to remove it after the stain is already set.

Please help me i have just bought a 100 percent polyester jersey and gone to woodwork class and someone splattered a bit of varnish on me. The jersey is white and dark blue. - Ben

Answers

Try linseed oil on a q-tip. You then have treat for 'grease" but you can use normal detergent etc.
Cheers,
Tammi

Does anyone have any ideas of how to remove white epoxy glue from navy blue polyester uniform pants? My husband wears a uniform to work and had to load a piece of equipment on his truck, saw the white stuff, and didn't realize it was epoxy glue he would be sitting down in. Now, he has 1 less pair of pants to wear to work and I am hoping someone has a solution to deal w/this. Please and thank-you.

Trish from Oregon

Answers

the link below might help you...
http://www.tipk  om/tip/4210.html

I have a cream Karen Millen dress which appears to have a red coloured stain on it. The dry cleaners have tried, but it won't lift. Any ideas?

By Jo. S

How can I remove a rum and blackcurrant stain on a polyester suit jacket?

By Ian R.

What will take stains out of white polyester pants? I made a mistake and used color protect shampoo on a stain. Now I have one big stain!

By Elva from Yankton, SD