Cleaning Tarmac

Category Miscellaneous
Tarmac is a type of road surface often found at airports and also used on private home driveways. This is a guide about cleaning tarmac.

Does anyone know a cheap way to remove used engine oil from tarmac? Our old car had a leak (now fixed) and there's a big black mark we need to get rid of in our parking space.

If there's no cheap way, whatever works would be great. Apart from a pressure washer as we don't have one. And please tell me the product ingredients and not the brand name if you're not in the UK.

Thanks

Answers

Have you tried using regular table salt? I have been told that it will absorbe oil and with a large continer of it costing less than a dollar at most stores it may be worth a try. Please note that you will need to completely cover the oil mark with salt, not just sprinkle it on. Leave the oil sitting for awhile and then just sweep it up. I hope that this helps. It may not take care of a true stain, but it should at least absorbe any excess oil that is still there on the surface.

I've used 2 liters of coke to clean engine oil off the driveway before - worked well for me - it was concrete.

dry cement powder will sometimes work, too

My landlord used clumping kitty litter in my driveway. Spred it thickly, about 1/2inch, and just left it for a week or so. Then they swept it up and hosed it off.

Just go to any automotive parts store and tell them what you want. They will tell you which brand of "Sorb-All" is currently on special or in fashion. It is usually about a quarter the price of kitty litter.

Have FUN!
DearWebby

We have a liquid dishwashing product called DAWN, it was used when there were tanker crude oil spills to clean the wildlife that got caught in it. Maybe you don't have that but you may have a dishwashing product that would compare.

I ordered ProActiv Solution for my teens to try and all it did was bleach our face and hand towels, but it did take the stains off our driveway as well. Just thought I'd throw that in the mix!

try cat litter, spread it over thr stain , scuff it around wirh your feet...it works in my garage

Hi. My husband is in the military and fixes jets. So he's pretty familiar with cleaning up spills on the tarmac. He says the gov uses cat litter first to absorb what they can. Then you should use DAWN dishwashing liquid to clean any residual mess. The gov uses it as well just under a different name. Good luck with it.

Hi SUzanne again. Hubby says if this is an old stain and has been set for a while then you'll need to go to a hardware store and buy a chemical product call TSP (trisodium phosphate). It should be with the painting supplies. Put it on the stain and let it set for a few minutes. The take a broom or scrub brush and work it in. Then spray off with water. He says that's what they use on the real nasty stains. So brilliant. Hope it works for you. Good luck.

How do I clean the green mildew and moss off my tarmac driveway?

By gerrymc985

Answers

Bleach will do it, good luck.

I would try a pressure washer.

Tried the pressure washer. Didn't do it. Thanks anyway. Having a go with the bleach next.

Anonymous

Sodium hydroclorite

How do I get tarmac back to black and clean?

Michael from Manchester, England

Answers

Hello,
I have heard Coca Cola does the job [don't use cheaper alternatives, they don't work].

Try a small area with a can to see if what I have heard is correct?

Best wishes
Monique :D

Bleach it,good luck.

How do I get dried cement off my tarmac driveway?

Martin from England

Answers

My boyfriend works as a cement truck driver, so I asked his advice on this. He said that they use hydrochloric acid to dissolve the dried up cement that builds up on the trucks. He's not sure how the tarmac would react to the hydrochloric acid though, so he says you should definitely do an acid test somewhere on the tarmac where it can't be seen first before attempting this procedure, just in case. He said to chip off as much of the dried cement as you can first, using a hammer and an old skrewdriver or something like that. Hydrochloric acid is a very strong acid so don't forget to use acid-safe rubber gloves and avoid breathing in the fumes, so do it on a windy day. He said you could alternatively try using acetic acid instead which is a weaker acid and less "dangerous". (If the tarmac can stand the acid test at all, that is.) It will be safer for you, but will take longer to dissolve the cement. Afterwards, soak up as much of the dissolved cement as you can using cat-litter or old rags to avoid too much acid being rinsed off into the flowerbeds. Afterwards, you should rinse, rinse and rinse again with water to remove and dilute as much of the acid residue as possible. Good luck!

Can someone help me? My neighbour spilt concrete on my tarmac drive, now dry. How can it be removed?

How do you remove cement and paint from a tarmac drive left on after building repairs?

By jeg from Chester, UK

Visitors leaving aircon and heaters on whilst driving into my driveway drop a fluid which I then have to try and remove. Your best advice would be much appreciated. Driveway was done 12 months ago.

By Pam M. from Tasmania