AdviceCleaning

Cleaning Throw Pillows

I have several pretty throw pillows, but I hesitate to put them in the washer. Is there a safe way to clean them? What should I use that won't ruin the material? Thanks!

I would use febreze and not wash them

I use Febreeze to freshen them, but these need to be cleaned or washed. Thanks for your answer!

I guess the question would be - do the pillows just need refreshing or are they dirty?
Febreze is good for refreshing but does no cleaning.
According to the material contents of the pillows, outside materials, decorations, and/or strong colors you may be able to clean them outside.
Give some thought to whether you think the pillow colors will run, fade, or damage any decorations (like tassels).
Lay pillow in a flat lawn chair (with holes in seat) and spray both sides of pillow with Spray n' Wash or similar spot cleaner (nothing with bleach). Stand pillow up - lean against back of chair - and let stand for at least 30 minutes (sunshine is okay).

Leave pillow in chair and take garden hose on slow/medium water and rinse the pillow from top to bottom. Let it drain some and then turn it around and do the same on opposite side. Leave in chair for several hours and then turn it upside down and do the same thing again until water runs clear. Leave in chair to drain and dry - sunshine is good - change positions several times. If any stains remain (even lines from cleaner) rinse again.
I have done this several times for my children (they have dogs) and never had a problem. Just make sure your pillow is not one of those really fancy ones (unless you have no choice).

Great advice...thanks!

Thanks for all the great tips!

I agitate mine with a super mild detergent, mist with water and lay in the sun.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Check the label of your throw pillows to see if they say its washable.