Cleaning Water Out of a Broken Freezer

I've already disposed of the rotten meat from broken freezer, there is about 4" of bloody water standing in bottom of freezer. I'm going to dispose of the freezer, but how do I dispose of the bloody water first? The smell is unbearable!

By Deborah

Yuck, what a horrible task you have in front of you. If it was me I think I'd open all the windows and use the wet/dry shop vac to suck up the mess as quickly as possible, remembering to breathe through my mouth & not my nose. Then I'd immediately get both the freezer and the shop vac out of the house. The shop vac could be cleaned out with the garden hose.

I put lots of Vicks on my nose to get me through this horrible job. I didn't want the bloody black water to goi down the drain hole or into shop vac so, using a square plastic and practically standing on my head, I scooped as much out as I could into a bucket.

Then I threw old towels into the bottom to absorb any remaining water. I threw away the towels and the bucket as I never wanted to use them again

how do I get ri of the smell after dead meat has unfrozen in my freezer seems to have got into the plastic drawers it has been there for 15 days

Use Odo Ban and spray inside of freezer. Will remove odor. Then clean probably with Pine Oil, hot water, vinegar and baking soda,
and a detergent. Use Odo Ban again as it also disinfects. Good luck

Where can I get OdoBan ?

Wal-Mart

You can get OdoBan from Walmart or Home Depot. I've used it before. It smells great.

What is Odo Ban?

I had a power outage, that ruined the food in my freezer. I threw everything away. Then using a bucket, and old towels cleaned up the blood. Dispose of the bucket and towels. Then i sprinkled a light dose of baking soda over the entire inside of the freezer, and let it set for 30 minutes, and then wiped it out.

Then I sprayed vinegar liberally over the entire inside of the freezer, and let it set for 30 minutes, and then wiped it out. Then I dusted the inside of the freezer with baking soda again, let it set for 30 minutes, and wiped it out. There was no smell left.

Anonymous

If the freezer still works, turn it on and freeze the water, the remove it in pieces.

This is late but might help someone: I put kitty litter in the freezer drawer to absorb the rancid water.