Cleaning a Clothes Dryer

Category Appliances
Dryer Drum
Cleaning your dryer is a part of the normal maintenance to keep it working efficiently. This is a guide about cleaning a clothes dryer.

When cleaning the lint filter on my dryer (which I do before every load), I use a small, damp paper towel. I have found that this works better than me licking the tips of my fingers to do it. The damp paper towel removes the lint better and cuts down on the dust that cleaning the filter creates.

Cleaning your filter screen for your dryer will help it run longer and more efficiently. Take your filter to the sink. Run water through the screen. If it holds water, it has a coating left on from your dryer sheets. Take an old toothbrush and wash it with hot soapy water to remove the residue. Rinse throughly. This will help your dryer run better. Read about it here at this site.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/dryer.asp

Linda

How do I get scuff marks out of my dryer?

By Natasha from Kalamazoo, MI

Answers

Magic eraser will do the trick!

Goo Gone removes just about everything.

Definitely try Magic Eraser and not a store brand or unbrand. It erasing so many things. I have not tried this for removing scuff marks from inside the dryer, but I did use it for removing purple ink from leaving a pen in my pocket that was more than a year old.

I had a bleach pen go through the dryer. How do I clean the residue from it out of the dryer?

There are a couple of things that you can try. Run the dryer at its highest heat setting the intense heat should liquefy the ink and allow you to wipe it off the dryer drum with a clean cloth. If that doesn't work you can try nail polish remover that should be able to come off on a cotton cloth. You could also try vegetable shortening

I have something blue all over the inside of my dryer. Looks like crayon, but I didn't find a crayon or anything else. Maybe a Bendaroo? Not sure, but it is along the edge of the part the helps the clothes go around. Sorry I don't know what it's called. Does anyone know if I can get that piece off so I can clean underneath it?

By Rachel from IL

I originally thought that blue waxy feeling stuff was from a crayon or colored pencil, but there were none of these items in the house since my kids were grown and no grandchildren nearby either. Then I thought it was from blue jeans but we had no NEW blue jeans that could have caused it. Then I discovered it is a combination of dyes (the normal fading of dyes) and a buildup of fabric softener.

I don't know about taking the dryer apart to clean it, but I used a single edged razor blade to scrape most of the buildup off and then cleaned up the rest with steel wool, which you can get at Walmart in the paint department. I suppose you could use SOS or Brillo pads too, as long as you wiped off all the soap or you would end up with the same problem. Hope this helps. Pat T. of Ocala

I moved into a long term rental in September with a state of the art HE washer and dryer. The previous owner loved using extremely scented detergents, scent boosters, etc. I am very very allergic and I have not found anything that has worked in getting the conflicting scents out of the washer and dryer. We don't use the washer and dryer because every time we run the washer, I have another allergy attach. Please help.

By Katie from San Francisco, CA