Cleaning a Stinky Fridge

I had my fridge off last Wednesday before bed time planning to turn it on the next morning before leaving for work. Unfortunately, I missed out and got back home only in time for bed, and had totally forgotten.

Before leaving home again on Friday morning, my son opened the fridge and that's when we found there was spoiled food. Could not do much. Was busy again the whole weekend, and have been busy beginning this week due to opening of new school year.

Today I opened it to remove trays from the bottom and when checking the top, found small worms crawling around. What do I do with this stinky fridge? It is still good? Can I clean it and reuse it? How?

By Jay R from Suva, Fiji

Take all the removable pieces, i.e. drawers, shelves and such outside to the patio and give them a good scrub with bleach water. You'll need to give the inside a good bleach wash too. This is what I did while living in Houston and had several power outages during hurricane season.

I remember once we had a block party behind our building which ran for 6 blocks on a street behind a golf course. All the neighbors emptied all the perishables from their fridges and we invited a few stray golfers over and had a great time! There were several kinds of meat and chicken on BBQs all up and down the row.

You must certainly toss all the contents of your fridge, and I hope that you now know that you can not leave a fridge unplugged with food in it. After you clean out the fridge and wash it thoroughly, you should likely let it air out to let any foul odors and the bleach odors dissipate. I would also use a couple of boxes of baking soda in the fridge to help eliminate odors after you have plugged it in again. Hopefully, you will be able to clean this well enough to use it again. I would use hot soapy water first, and then a dilute bleach solution or perhaps baking soda dissolved in water as a rinse solution. Never, ever unplug a fridge if you have food in it.

power out during hurricane for 6 days rotten meat smell cant get rid of it