Collecting Social Security Survivor Benefits

So my nephew is almost 17. His father died years ago. His mother divorced his father prior to that. She is using his and his brother's benefits to pay the mortgage. She married a guy with 5 kids and moved them in. The stepfather is a controlling and abusive person to my nephew. They made him leave home and live with his grandmother. They are still collecting his money to pay the mortgage for their home and he does not live there anymore. Can he stop that and start collecting it for himself until he is 18?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 24, 20160 found this helpful

You and your nephew can contact your local SSA office and make an appointment to address this problem. The SSA may be able to change the benefit to be paid to the grandmother where your nephew lives.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal LegalJune 22, 2016
Pest Control
Mother's Day Ideas!
Easter Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/04/16 04:30:14 in 762 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!