Collecting Social Security for Child of Deceased Parent

How do I go about drawing Social Security for my child when his father died two months before he was born in 2007 and now here it is 2013?

By Ashley L.

Best Answer

Married or not you need to contact your local Social Security office. They will help you feel out all the paperwork. You need to take Social Security cards and birth certificates for both of you. It would also be very helpful to take the deceased fathers death certificate. You may have to allow a DNA test between child and a living relative of the father. Someone told me married or not you have to do a DNA, but I am not sure on that rumor. Good Luck and I hope this will help!

Have you checked with your local social security office? Were you married? If you were married you and the child would be getting survivor's benefits.

I don't know how it will work if you weren't married, but the Social Security office should be able to help you.

Go to the Social security office. They will help you and tell you what documents you need. Or call on the phone.

You will have to provide an original death certificate as well as original birth certificate. This means NO zerox copies. Different cost in each state. Just got copies of each for my family here (MN) and it was $13 for each. You may find that the extra copies of the death certificate will be warranted to get now....all additional were $6.

And for anything down the road, you will put out the first time fee.

For my brother's savings bonds, 5 years post death, we had to send in a death certificate. It was Pay on death (POD) and you had to prove it. Some college admissions might require if applying for special funds, etc.

You should have contacted SS the day he died. As soon as the child was born he would draw a SS check until the age of 18.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMarch 22, 2013
🍂
🎄