Can I Claim my Ex-husband's Social Security?

My ex and I were married for over 34 years. Can I get his Social Security although we were not married when he passed away?

By M. T

Best Answer

I am pretty sure anyone can collect on an ex -dead or alive - if they were married for at least 10 years - - if you are over the age of 65. Social Security has a wonderful website.

My mother recieves a soc sec check based on my father her ex husband.
You really need to go the soc sec office with your divorce papers at least.
I would go in person instead of a phone call . They are so busy and very understaffed .

I don't think so, but contact your local Social Security Office. There is big difference between drawing off his social security as his ex wife, in order to make your amount higher, and collecting survivor's benefits.

Anyway that is my opinion, but check with your Social Security Office.

I have been collecting from my X husband for years. Since I remarried, I could only claim about 1/3 of it. If you have not remarried, you would get 1/2. It does not affect what your X would get. I agree with the other poster that it is worth it to go into your social security office. I think sometimes when you call you get different answers, at least that is what has happened to me.

Hi - you can draw from your ex-husband's social security if you are eligible for SS and was married over 5 years - and if you have not remarried and your own amount is less than what you would receive from his.

I believe the amount from his will be 1/2 of his total but Social Security benefits are changing all the time so you will need to go to your local office for the "truth".

I would carry divorce papers and you will need the date of marriage also - carry your wedding certificate if you have it. They should have the date you changed your last name on record with other information.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceJuly 9, 2013
🌻
🎂
📓