Cooking Beef

Category Meat
Roast Beef and Potatoes
Unless you're a gourmet chef (and even if you are), knowing the proper cooking times for different cuts of beef can be challenging. This is a guide about cooking beef.

When cooking beef, garlic salt brings more of the meats natural flavor than any other seasoning.

Has anyone got a tip for speeding up cooking corned beef to have tender beef? I use meat tenderizers and Worcestershire sauce in my water to boil the meat to make my meat softer, faster. Does anyone have other ideas for faster, soft, cooked corned beef?

By Krissttina from Honolulu, HI

Answer Was this helpful? 1

There is no fast way, I think its just a very tough cut of meat. I use the crock pot, only. You can start it way early in the morning, or even when you go to bed. It is so tender. Yummy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there is a way to cook corned beef fast and not have it turn out as tough as shoe leather. If someone on this site knows better, I'd be happy to be corrected. :-)

Corned beef is usually a brined cut of beef brisket which is always a very tough cut of meat that needs a lot of TLC for a moist, tender result. The brine tenderizes it somewhat, but it's still a brisket at it's core. The very best way I know of to tenderize it is to remember the phrase "Low and Slow" and prepare accordingly. "Low" meaning a very low temperature (200 -250 degrees) and "Slow" meaning many hours (up to 10 hours, depending on size). Although it can be roasted in an oven, this method is not economical considering the power consumption of a full sized oven. Better to use a Crockpot. Best to use an outdoor wood smoker.

I realize most folks don't own a wood smoker (we got lucky on a great bargain for ours) as the good ones are expensive, but we can cook three huge cuts of brisket or corned beef at a time and with enough room to throw on a dozen foil wrapped baking potatoes the last couple of hours and it all freezes nicely for later use.

Since the smoker does take about ten hours with constant attendance, it's not practical for everyday, one meal use at all. That's why my Crockpot comes in as the next best prep method. It still takes 8 - 10 hours, but it's plug it in, let it go technology, which I love! I've tried stove top recipes using a Dutch Oven that require much less cooking time with higher temps, but the meat never turns out as moist and tender as it does in a Crockpot or cooked on the smoker. Good luck and happy eats.

No fast way. It cooks well in a crock pot and I am not a crock pot user except for a very few things. I cook corned beef on the stove. I simmer it for several hours. It is faster than a crock pot but you can't cook it too fast or it gets tough.

Anonymous

Even chicken and turkey are more tender and moist when slow cooked and their meat is nowhere near the toughness of a cut of brisket. Patience is a virtue even when cooking, Krisstinna ;-)

Anonymous

Even chicken and turkey is more tender and moist when slow cooked and they are nowhere near as tough a cut of meat as brisket is. Patience is a virtue even when cooking, Krisstinna ;-)

I agree with rme001. I always use my crock pot and cook for at least 10 hours.

Very tender and not tough. :)

Anonymous

Thanks everyone-happy cooking and even happier dining!

Guess nobody here uses a pressure cooker? That's how I always made my corned beef (haven't done it the last couple of years). It is fast, easy & the meat comes out very tender. Usually 10 min per pound of meat, then I add the veggies on top & cook another 5 minutes once the steam comes back up.

Anonymous

I tried cooking meat a couple of times in a pressure cooker long ago and it came out dry as cardboard :-( Could you pretty please tell me the secret to moist meat in a pressure cooker lyonjpride?

Why does beef liver have gristle (tough chewy areas) in it? Is calf liver more tender and better for frying?

By Onesummer

Actually you can get any beef liver as tender as you want it by soaking it in milk for 30 to 45 minutes before cooking it.

You cut out the grizzle, which isn't grizzle really but the arteries, I used to work in a butcher shop in Germany about 30 years ago, and I cut thousands of pounds of liver in my day.

After soaking the liver in milk (don't soak it too long or it will get too soft and break) coat it in flour, and fry it in oil on medium heat. Frying it too fast and too long will make it dry. After fry take it out and sprinkle it with salt and pepper, and serve with fried onions and stewed apples if you have apples at home(try it one time and you think it's a match made in heaven). Oh my mouth is watering!

Liver is still a very affordable way to get some protein, and if you love it like I do, it is the best meal in the world if prepared right. Prepare it wrong ....and well needless to say your children or husband will never want to try it again. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

I have to agree with Miss Angel. My Grandmother used to cook liver in the same way. My favorite liver is lambs liver, which is even more tender than calves liver. Enjoy the above recipe, I know I am going to give it a try with the stewed apples.

If you thin slice it before you cook it (fry) you can remove the tough stuff (gristle, veins, etc.), then do the frying. Also a little mallet banging will make it more tender. That's for any liver.

I do all the above with the milk and flour, but I first fry yellow onions (Spanish Onions) in some olive oil 'til browned lightly, then add liver, and you have quite a meal. Served with a good veggie side dish and salad, yummy.

How long should I cook a joint of beef weighing 3 or 4 kgs?

By Jean

The time depends on how you like the meat (rare, well done etc). Use a meat thermometer and roast at 325 degrees. The meat thermometer is graduated and will tell you when the roast is done to your liking. Some will tell you to cook at 350 or 400. Forget it! Cooking at 325 will give you a juicy and tender roast.

I always use a MT, I have one that you spear into the meat, set the temp and an alarm goes off when it gets to that temp. It saves me forgetting an expensive joint and gives perfect results every time. Well worth the investment.

Hi Jean! I relocated to Scotland in 2010 and had to learn (in my mid-fifties!) a whole new way to cook, including how to figure cooking kilos as opposed to the pounds I'm used to cooking with in America.

The answer to your question is, according to my charity shop bought vintage Delia Smith cookery book, 30 minutes per kilo to have a rare joint, and adjusted upwards in time according to your taste and the cut.

She writes that she likes to start a joint at a fairly high heat of Gas Mark 9/245C/475F for the first 20 minutes to give a nice searing (and finished look) to the joint; she then lowers the heat to GM5/190C/375F for the rest of the roasting time.

As I learned to cook in the UK, I found the Delia Smith books (found first in the library and then used in charity shops) to be VERY helpful.