Cooking Tender Corned Beef

Has anyone got a tip for speeding up cooking corned beef to have tender beef? I use meat tenderizers and Worcestershire sauce in my water to boil the meat to make my meat softer, faster. Does anyone have other ideas for faster, soft, cooked corned beef?

By Krissttina from Honolulu, HI

There is no fast way, I think its just a very tough cut of meat. I use the crock pot, only. You can start it way early in the morning, or even when you go to bed. It is so tender. Yummy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there is a way to cook corned beef fast and not have it turn out as tough as shoe leather. If someone on this site knows better, I'd be happy to be corrected. :-)

Corned beef is usually a brined cut of beef brisket which is always a very tough cut of meat that needs a lot of TLC for a moist, tender result. The brine tenderizes it somewhat, but it's still a brisket at it's core. The very best way I know of to tenderize it is to remember the phrase "Low and Slow" and prepare accordingly. "Low" meaning a very low temperature (200 -250 degrees) and "Slow" meaning many hours (up to 10 hours, depending on size). Although it can be roasted in an oven, this method is not economical considering the power consumption of a full sized oven. Better to use a Crockpot. Best to use an outdoor wood smoker.

I realize most folks don't own a wood smoker (we got lucky on a great bargain for ours) as the good ones are expensive, but we can cook three huge cuts of brisket or corned beef at a time and with enough room to throw on a dozen foil wrapped baking potatoes the last couple of hours and it all freezes nicely for later use.

Since the smoker does take about ten hours with constant attendance, it's not practical for everyday, one meal use at all. That's why my Crockpot comes in as the next best prep method. It still takes 8 - 10 hours, but it's plug it in, let it go technology, which I love! I've tried stove top recipes using a Dutch Oven that require much less cooking time with higher temps, but the meat never turns out as moist and tender as it does in a Crockpot or cooked on the smoker. Good luck and happy eats.

No fast way. It cooks well in a crock pot and I am not a crock pot user except for a very few things. I cook corned beef on the stove. I simmer it for several hours. It is faster than a crock pot but you can't cook it too fast or it gets tough.

Anonymous

Even chicken and turkey are more tender and moist when slow cooked and their meat is nowhere near the toughness of a cut of brisket. Patience is a virtue even when cooking, Krisstinna ;-)

Anonymous

Even chicken and turkey is more tender and moist when slow cooked and they are nowhere near as tough a cut of meat as brisket is. Patience is a virtue even when cooking, Krisstinna ;-)

I agree with rme001. I always use my crock pot and cook for at least 10 hours.

Very tender and not tough. :)

Anonymous

Thanks everyone-happy cooking and even happier dining!

Guess nobody here uses a pressure cooker? That's how I always made my corned beef (haven't done it the last couple of years). It is fast, easy & the meat comes out very tender. Usually 10 min per pound of meat, then I add the veggies on top & cook another 5 minutes once the steam comes back up.

Anonymous

I tried cooking meat a couple of times in a pressure cooker long ago and it came out dry as cardboard :-( Could you pretty please tell me the secret to moist meat in a pressure cooker lyonjpride?