Covering Stains on Clothing

Category Clothing
Sometimes it is impossible to remove certain clothing stains. This does not necessarily mean that they are a lost cause. This is a guide about covering stains on clothing.

I have a nice pseudo-Irish off white sweater in raw silk. When it got washed, a pinkish stain got on the bottom part. It's smaller than the bottom of a glass but unsightly. Bleaching it out was probably not going to work, so I hit upon a solution. COVER the stained part of the yarn with off-white acrylic paint. The paint seeped into the yarn and covered the stain nicely. Because it's in a place that doesn't really "show" I can now re-introduce this sweater into my cold weather wardrobe!. Another gambit to try with stains!

By Pam M. from Los Angeles, CA

Sometimes when you scrub at stains on your jeans, you end up with a white spot, which can be even worse! To mask those white spots if you have lighter blue jeans, you can use a grey water-based marker. Grey just matches the color of jeans better than most blues. Apply the marker messily to the white spot, and then blot with water. Re-apply several times until it matches the rest of the fabric. (If you don't have a grey marker, you can also try grey eye shadow!)

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Have you got bleach spots or grease spots on a favorite shirt or slacks? Instead of getting rid of them, for that reason. Sew on a pretty applique over the spot, no one will ever know what's underneath, unless you tell them. Check out the local sewing department of your favorite store for the appliques. I did this with some lady bug appliques, on a pretty flowered embroidered denim shirt, I have had lots of compliments. They didn't know the lady bugs weren't already part of the shirt when I purchased it!

By Terri from NV

I need to remove a stain from the applique on a used wedding dress that I bought on line. I took it to the dry cleaner to see if they could remove the stain before I bought it. Most of the stain was removed that day, but when I went to pick it up after they pressed it the stain returned. It looks like I tea stained it. It is not on the polyester dress part, just the applique.

Has anyone ever used fabric paint, White Out, or maybe shoe polish and a tiny brush to cover up a stain? I do not have time to have the applique replaced and I am afraid to use fabric paint or shoe polish because I read that it may run. I think White Out may work, but it dries a little gray. I am afraid to wash it and make it run because it is not on the polyester dress itself, yet. Please help. I only have until Sunday. Thank you very much.

By Mrs Porter from Stockton, CA

Answers

Call up a fabric store such as JoAnn Fabrics and ask someone if white fabric paint would do the job of covering the stain.

I wonder if you can buy a white - if you can find a perfect match - or perhaps silver applique to cover the stained one completely? That way you can save yourself a lot of hassle, plus you can personalize your wedding dress to your own taste. If you get more than one, you can place them on other parts of the dress to make it look even better!

Try chalk, carry with on the day of.

Take the applique off. Do you need it, usually it is sewn on for a more modest look. If after you remove it, you still need it, then go to a fabric store and find another one and sew it onto the same place, a professional seamstress could also do this for you. Good luck.

Don't know if you've solved your stain problem yet, but, when I was a cheerleader, we had white and green sweaters, shirts, and skirts. Someone tossed a tea bag in to the air and it landed on me! I covered the stains with a very thin layer of white shoe polish.

What about sewing another, slightly large, applique over the stained one?

I bought a dress with beads on it. I took them off and found white lines on the fabric. How can I cover the mark up? I have tried to dye it, but it did not work.

Answers

Fabric paint or liquid embroidery should do it.

A black laundry pen.

A black Sharpie