VegetableSoups

Creamy Zucchini Bacon Soup

I had an overabundance of white zucchini so I thought I'd try to make a soup with it. You can use regular zucchini in lieu of white zucchini for this. I used bacon as the flavourful base for it, then topped it off with crispy bacon as a stir-in garnish. It was so hearty and delicious!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

1. Render 1/3 cup chopped bacon in a large pot over medium heat until browned.
  2. Add onions, zucchini, potatoes, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
  3. Add stock and water and turn heat up to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Turn off heat and allow soup to cool down a bit. Use a hand emersion blender (or transfer soup to blender) and puree until smooth.
  5. Stir in salt and pepper to taste and allow soup to sit over very low heat to warm back up.
  6. Quickly crisp up the rest of the bacon in pan over medium heat. Serve soup in bowls and top with some crisped bacon.

Yum! I need to remember this one for late summer, when the zucchini is growing faster than we can eat it up. In fact, I may make this one of the weekly soups in August. :)

Oh you're so lucky you have that problem :D I hope you try this-- the bacon really gives it a smoky yummy depth. I went with using a potato instead of a roux, but you could go that route, too.