Making Creamy Zucchini Bacon Soup
Zucchini, potatoes, and onions sautéed in bacon fat are the base for this hearty and delicious blended soup. Use the abundance of squash from your garden or pick up some at the market and have soup for dinner.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I had an overabundance of white zucchini so I thought I'd try to make a soup with it. You can use regular zucchini in lieu of white zucchini for this. I used bacon as the flavourful base for it, then topped it off with crispy bacon as a stir-in garnish. It was so hearty and delicious!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cups peeled and chopped zucchini
- 1 cup peeled and chopped potatoes
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon for garnish
- Render 1/3 cup chopped bacon in a large pot over medium heat until browned.
- Add onions, zucchini, potatoes, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add stock and water and turn heat up to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow soup to cool down a bit. Use a hand emersion blender (or transfer soup to blender) and puree until smooth.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste and allow soup to sit over very low heat to warm back up.
- Quickly crisp up the rest of the bacon in pan over medium heat. Serve soup in bowls and top with some crisped bacon.
CommentsRead More Comments