Cure for Cellulitis

Does anyone know of a cure for cellulitis? I have been diagnosed with it, and told I would have it for the rest of my life. I have had it for three years now.

By Dan Lawrence

I know of no "cure" for cellulitis. I have had several bouts with it and the last one put me in the hospital for 4 days this past January. It doesn't take much for bacteria to get into the tiniest scratch. The only thing they can do for you is give antibiotics. Previously, I was on oral antibiotics, but this time I needed antibiotics by IV and could only take them every 36 hours because they were so strong they could have caused kidney damage. Then I was released with strong oral antibiotics and was on them for about a month.

One suggestion the doctor has was to use alcohol free body lotion to keep the skin supple and not allow cracking for the bacteria to get in. I now use it daily and it does seem to help. As the doctor explained it, it was like an inside out sunburn. The pain felt like someone hitting you on the worst sunburn you ever had and then the skin peeled like a sunburn once it started to heal. Keep the legs elevated was also advised to reduce swelling. I still have the red coloration on part of the leg and seems it will always be there.

Sorry, I, too wish there was a way to avoid it, but it seems it hits me every few years, this time was the worst.

I have never heard of this condition, but, I found a site with comments from people who do have it. The first commenter sounded positive about a new antibiotic, Cubicin. Hope this helps.

www.medicinenet.com/.../patient-comments-505.htm