Custard Recipes

Category Custard
Custard can refer to a wide variety of thickened dishes, but generally they are thickened with egg. Although it can be savory, most custards are used for desserts or dessert sauces. This page contains custard recipes.

This is the easiest "made from scratch" custard-pudding I know how to make. I like it, because I don't have to "temper" egg yolks prior to mixing them in with the other ingredients. They're added right along with most of the other ingredients, then cooked very slowly and gently so that the custard remains smooth and without lumps. It turns out perfectly every time, as long as you keep stirring while it cooks. Be patient and don't get in a hurry, or you'll end up with sweetened scrambled eggs.

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

Separate egg yolks from egg whites making sure not to get any yolk in the whites. Place the whites in a bowl which has a good lid, if possible, as you're going to be refrigerating the custard in this bowl when it's all done. Whatever you use, just be sure it's totally free of any kind of grease at all, or the whites will not beat up properly. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Set aside.

Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl and them set aside.

Combine sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg in a saucepan and stir in the milk. Stir the beaten egg yolks into the milk mixture. Mix well.

Cook over a medium-low heat while stirring constantly. Be sure to stir all the way to the bottom of the saucepan to keep the milk from scorching and the eggs from scrambling.

When the mixture has thickened, remove from burner, and add slowly into stiffly beaten egg whites while stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla. Allow to cool at room temperature, then refrigerate in a tightly covered container.

Served with fresh strawberries, it makes one of the best desserts I can think of.

I usually double this recipe, all except the eggs. I only add 2 extra eggs when I double, and it works just fine.

Servings: 4-5
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 plus cooling time Minutes

Source: My mother had this recipe hand-written on a lined page from a tablet and kept it in a box with other "receipts" and notes about cooking. To my knowledge, she never owned a cookbook in her life.

When our large family of aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents got together, the ladies, and sometimes the men, would enchange recipes and other tidbits of cooking information they'd "discovered". It took me a while to be able to understand some of the "shorthand" she used when writing down the things she wanted to remember.

A pinch of this, a handful of that, and a smathering of something else went into Tea Cakes, Egg Salad, and Goulash alike. They were measurements that she understood, but I had to learn for myself.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Beat eggs and combine with sweetener. Add milk and mix well. Add spices and pour into 8 inch pie pan. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F) for 50-60 minutes...

This page contains pumpkin custard recipes. Try pumpkin in a different way than the traditional pie. Pumpkin custard is a delicious option for using fresh or canned pumpkin.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 2 egg yolks + 1 egg white, well beaten
  • 1 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt

Directions

Cream sugar with beaten eggs and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. milk. Put in kettle and set kettle in vessel with boiling water. Cook 25-35 minutes. Stir until it starts to thicken. Add flavoring just before taking up. Egg yolks will thicken to drinking consistency.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 6 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1 envelope plain gelatin
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 6 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 angel food cake
  • 2 cups whipping cream, sweetened and whipped
  • blanched almonds

Directions:

In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, sugar and half and half. Cook until custard coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat and add gelatin dissolved in water. Cool. Fold in egg whites beaten stiff with sugar. Break angel food cake into small pieces. Arrange half of the cake in a 3 qt. glass dish. Pour half of custard over cake. Repeat. Chill. Top with sweetened whipped cream and almonds.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Sweet potatoes and bananas combine to make a flavorful low fat custard made with evaporated skim milk and no added fat.

Bake in oiled custard bowl in moderate oven until the custard is firm. Unmold, cool, and cover with fresh violet heads...