Daily All-Purpose Walk

Being an office worker who sits all day in front of the computer with less time for stretching, one always wishes for a break. This is the nature of this type of work. Although it looks almost effortless physically, in reality it is one of the most stressful as the brain works while the body stays still. It a cause of weight gain and the explanation is simple; you sit all day, work and eat a lot but you don't have time to move.

Everybody is aware that exercise is one of the most important activities in life. It is being promoted all over the world because of the increased cases of obesity. Even if I am not yet there, I am one of the many workers who gain a lot of weight against my will and it is very frustrating. I don't need those extras in my body.

I don't set daily, weekly or monthly goals, especially when talking about fitness. Because of my low salary, I can't afford to go to the gym. I have a favorite sport but I don't play regularly as I focus much on work and on earning extra money for my family needs.

Everyday, I take my daily walk as my exercise. My house is more or less 300 meters away from the highway, where I wait for the bus to pass by. When I arrive in the city, the bus terminal is just about 15 meters away from my workplace so I walk my way to the office. I do that every morning and afternoon as I head home. One way would give me an estimated total of 20 minute exercise.

The total time and distance taken everyday would sometimes cause exhaustion. There are options, especially when I bring home heavy stuff and when the time short. I can take the cab or a motorcycle but, of course, it would cost me a certain amount of money for the fare. We also have our own motorcycle but it is not available all the time.

With so much determination to fight weight gain, I learned to discipline myself with regards to food. The daily walk is a big help and I call it my "daily all purpose walk" because I don't just get the chance to exercise and I save the supposed budget for the cab or motorcycle fare. When I'm able to save the pennies in my pocket, I set them aside for the next day or spend them to buy goodies for my little one.

The photos were taken yesterday on my way home. The last photo shows the hanging bridge I used to cross everyday to reach home.