Decorating With Nature

You can find many beautiful and useful items in nature to use in your home decor projects. This is a guide about decorating with nature.

It was so nice out yesterday I went out to enjoy the fall colors. I sprang to my feet as if by ORDER and got a roll of wide tape (the kind used when mailing packages.) Then I began searching for leaves to fit the tape.

There are more varieties than I knew around my house! I stuck the leaves and a few flowers from weeds on the tape. When it began to drag the ground I went inside and fixed it to my storm door glass. So when I look out this winter, there is some greenery when everything else is covered with snow!

I felt SO GOOD about it that I went out with more tape and went on a walk around the other side of my house. I put that piece on the kitchen window!

Then, I ran out of that that tape and got the next size, about 3/4th inch wide and went out for more. This time I got only small leaves, off the roses and some that didn't reach their full size yet. Wow!

I will get more tape when I can soon. There are a few nice days left, maybe even a months worth or more!

Last summer, because I really am a plant killer, I went out to a nearby nature reserve (Check your maps, maybe there is something near you that you didn't know about. Mine is only 8 miles of very pretty back roads.) I got a couple of downed limbs. I would never tell someone to go cut limbs but if that is what you can do, go for it!) I painted them black with can of Dollar General spray paint. It is $2 or $2.50 and I had some pots so went to lumber yard for bags of cement ($1.87 for 10 lbs.) I mixed some cement in the pot with a paint stirrer and placed a painted limb in each and let dry.

I have had SO many compliments on my "indoor woods"! I even had one suspended from the ceiling but it fell. It had a chimes hanging on it and a small birdhouse with tiny flower garland I created of deco hole punch and crocheted a chain stich in between each.

I also have a huge red maple leaf fixed to a pane of glass in the front door. I like to think that when I look out through all this that I remain "hidden" until I choose to open the door. I have a curtain too, but this is a lot more fun!

What do you all do with the beautiful items gifted to us by Mother Nature?

Top Comment

Pine cones in baskets, tall twigs and grasses in large vases, any evergreen branches laid on tabletop surfaces interspursed with tall candles, neat shaped stones in small glass dishes, stones in glass vases in place of glass balls for flower arrangements, sand with seashells in shallow containers with votive candles pushed in - beautiful, renewable interior decorations.

Top Comment

I dry all kinds of flowers all year long and then make my own popourri...also I collect pinecones,seed pods,tree limbs, ect. In school we collected all kinds of stuff and then hot glued it on a straw wreath..including japanese lantern's which dry very nicley...gail2656...they are a beautiful orange color

Top Comment

Cat tails are great for adding to flower arrangements, especially in the fall. Use hair spray to cover them, to keep them from falling apart. Dead twigs can be sprayed painted with glitter spray paint to add a sparkle to an arrangement. Pine cones have many uses, in baskets, or making wreaths with them. Pine cone bird feeders (cover in a butter, peanut butter mixture and roll in bird seed. Place in freezer for about 30 minutes to harden. Tie ribbon on pine cones and hang from tree limbs) and such!

You can create an attractive, inexpensive holiday display using items that nature provides.

You can create something simple and almost free for Thanksgiving by placing a jar filled with autumn flowers inside of a wicker basket. Add pine cones, acorns, pecans, or other items you can find on a nature walk to the basket. Add a seasonal bow.

For Christmas, or as a winter display, fill the jar with evergreens and winter berry stems. Use pinecones and other items of your choice to fill the basket. Add a bow and you've got an attractive display for the holiday.

Depending on the style of basket you choose, you can use this as a table top display on your porch or hang it on a Shepherd's pole near the front door or walkway.

By VeronicaHB from Asheboro, NC

This guide contains craft ideas using natural materials. Objects found in nature including plant materials, stones, etc. can be used to make beautiful crafts.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes