Decorating a Mirror

Category Home Decor
You can dress up an old or plain mirror to improve its appearance or incorporate it into your room's decor. This is a guide about decorating a mirror.

Many bathroom mirrors are plain unframed glass kept in place with small uninteresting clips. Get creative and spruce up that large expanse of glass. This is a guide about dressing up a bathroom mirror.

A plain bathroom mirror over a sink.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a seashell mirror. Use that shell collection that has been collecting dust on the closet shelf to create a beautiful mirror to complement your decor.

shell mirrors

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I want to use a mirror as a note board, does anybody have any ideas what I could use to write/paint on a mirror that easily washes off? Dry erase markers are not dark enough. I tried one of those markers for windows like kids use to decorate cars for school spirit, but those seem kinda pricey. I am thinking there has got to be something I can use that is relatively cheap.

Lynn from KY

Answers

HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED AN EYE BROW/LINER PENCIL. IT WASHES OFF VERY EASILY WITH WINDOW CLEANER AND ALCOHOL.

Hi Lynn,

Shoepolish works great and wipes off with a hand towel or wash rag.

Maybe you could try pens for use on overhead projectors.

Crayola makes window markers. They are about the same price as regular crayola markers and we bought ours at walmart right next to the other markers.

How about lipstick from the $1 store? or a grease pen (aka china marker) from the hardware or stationary store.

Crayola makes window markers now, and they clean off fairly easily. My children used these, and they were bright enough to see from quite a distance.

I always use a bar of soap to leave messages on my bathroom mirror. Works like a charm.

Sharpie markers, while permanent on porous surfaces, will write on mirrors and can be removed with rubbing alcohol.

same markers you'd use on an easel board.

How 'bout regular Crayons?

I use permanent marker, for love notes to my hubby and was using it to write down my weight drops after RNY surgery. I use a Mr. Clean or alcohol to clean it off, all clean!

Bingo marker?

My daughter uses Crayola washable markers to leave herself notes on the bathroom mirror and they work great. All you have to do then is just wipe off with a wet paper towel.

Dry erase markers work best

*****use permanent markers... but if it doesn't come off...(if it is on long enough) use nail polish remover to get it off!!!********

I would like some help decorating an old cloudy mirror. I still want to see myself in it. I was thinking about a paint design. Any ideas?

granniegityergun from Rochester, NY

Answers

i buy old windows and paint desgins on them for differant holidays, these were done for chirtmas that i sold at craft shows. but the mirror to the right was one my sister had got in a yard sale very old antique mirror dated 1928 and it was really clouded so she had me paint a snowman theme on it and i sealed it with 3 clear coats of sealer. get your theme ideas by looking at greeting cards for any season then i draw on the design freehand with a permanent marker then paint it in.with the fog on the edge showing it actually matched the winter cold theme very well. these can sit in front of your fireplace or near an entry way to greet your guest at the holidays. and the snowman does not shout just christmas but serves through all the cold winter months as decoration theme.

Could you glue sea shells or artificial flowers around the edge? How about hearts? They're easy to find this time of the year.

You could get some acid etch and get a frosted design.

Etching isn't hard! ... Just take some contact paper, Dray the design on the contact paper you'd like, then punch or cut out designs (with paper punch or exacto knife)... Burnish the contact paper down with your fingernails... This design should mostlly be done around the edges of the mirror. ...Then buy "Etching Cream" at your local Craft or Art Store.... and follow the directions!

---> Don't let the word "Acid" scare you... Just follow the directions on the Etching Cream & you'll have a wonderful, classy mirror!

* One more idea: Take the backing off the mirror, then draw a vine with a black "sharpie" pen.. If you can see it from the front, GREAT! ... If not, then scratch the silver finish off the back (where you want your vine) & the front will look very cool!

* There's nothing classier or easier than a leaf vine... Easy to draw, Easy to paint, easy to etch or scratch. Just draw a squiggly line with simple leaves growing off of it!

I have a mountain condo where I recently decorated the edge if a large mirror with twigs and sticks gathered from the area. It fits perfectly in the dining with its rustic decor. The problem is they keep falling off. I've used silicone and a glue gun. Some stay on, but every few weeks I lose a few and have to reach for the glue gun again. Any ideas?

By J E L

How can I cover a carved mirror frame with fabric?

Jackie from Ypsilanti, MI

Answers

I think the only way to cover a carved frame with fabric would be to use a decopage' medium and really get your fingers into it in order to bring out all the design of the frame. You could use paper as well tearing it into workable size pieces. You won't get so many folds and wrinkles with paper. You can use tissue paper or even wrapping paper. Directions should be on the decopage medium jar. Judy

I want to decorate a mirror with window markers. Is there anything I can put on the mirror so the marker will not come off when cleaning it?

By Sandy

I want to decorate a mirror using Peel Offs (stickers) and decorate some PVC plastic. They seem to fall off, is there something I can use to keep them on. The mirrors and PVC plastic have been cleaned and dried. I need help on this thanks

By Dawn