Decorating a Sewing Room

Category Home Decor
Decorating your sewing room can make it a cozy, comfortable, fun place to spend time pursuing your craft. This is a guide about decorating a sewing room.

This 4 foot shop light is in my sewing room and looked too ugly by itself so I made a simple cover for it to match the room decor. This light does not get hot so there is no danger of fire and the dust doesn't show as much. Just measure the light, cut out strips of fabric leaving an opening where the ceiling chain goes and add a valance or other trim.

By Pat J from White Cloud, MI

What carpet would you suggest getting or avoiding for a sewing room?

By Charlene Richardson from Canton, MI

Answers

I've done sewing on various types of carpeting and they are all a real pain because you have to vacuum the lint and threads up. I much prefer linoleum/vinyl because all you have to do is grab a broom and dust pan and you are done, instead of getting the vacuum cleaner and putting it away.

Anyway, I feel sweeping is quicker than vacuuming.

If I had a choice I wouldn't have carpet at all. My last house had hardwood in the sewing room and it was great. This house has Berber carpet and I really don't like it. Stuff (pins, needles) gets lost in it and I can't find it. I have to drag out the vacuum to clean up the and scraps. Try to go with something "sweepable" is what I say.

I have a small craft room with a wood floor. I was going to carpet it but for the same reasons as the other members, decided to leave it bare and threw an inexpensive rug down..

that way I can shake it outside once I pick up any pins or salvage and then just sweep the floor. Very easy to take care of.

I work at a floor covering store. I would recommend a low pile carpet which is mostly a solid color. Remember that you may drop pins, buttons, and other tiny things, so you don't want a plushy high pile carpet with a busy pattern in it. Depending on your natural light source, don't get anything so dark it will take away from the brightness of the room. Good luck! Wish I could retire and actually have time to sew or do crafts!!

I surely agree with previous posts in having a hard floor; linoleum, hardwood, tile, etc., versus any carpeting. Years ago we received a carpet as a gift that had been in a sewing room and it was complete with many pins and needles that were undetected until a child was stuck.

Inspection revealed too many to gather so the carpet had to be disposed of. Hope this helps in your decision.