Determining the Value of a Grandfather Clock

Category Miscellaneous
As with many vintage and antique pieces, the value of a grandfather clock depends on a number of factors, including age, rarity, appearance, mechanical soundness, etc. This page offers some good advice on how to find the value of a grandfather clock, as well as, a detailed list of attributes and demand that will need to be considered in determining its value.

I can't find anything on this clock; the face says Royalty. I am doing an estate sale so I am just trying to get a value. I want to say my mom said she paid a clock repair shop 800 to fix it one time.

Answers

Best Answer

Your clock is gorgeous and immaculate!

Valuing these neat pieces is a challenge for a number of reasons.

First they need to work--everything from keeping time to the chimes.

Then it needs to be determined the brand (I have not heard of Royalty as a brand, although I am not an expert in clocks). Are there markings on the workings?

Then it needs to be a style that is highly sought after in your town, with a high demand and a low supply. So where I am in PA the (bonnet style--which describes the top rounded piece)--is one of the the least sought after types of clock so it would get a lower value here, where people prefer the more decorative, Victorian tops or even more so, the flat craftsman style. Value is really a regional thing so where you are, you may see more value in a bonnet top.

That it was repaired for $800 (to me) only speaks to the cost of the repair--fixing these clocks--whether they are delicate antiques or new pieces--is expensive. There are few clock makers/fixers around, so they can charge huge amounts because they are usually the only game in town.

One of the other challenges in clocks is what is called "marriages" where someone takes old clock parts and puts them into a newer case trying to increase the value. An expert will have to determine that this did not happen with your piece--which could totally devalue it as it becomes a "fake".

So all of that said, the best way to put a value on your clock is to have a local clock person (antique/vintage dealer) look at it and give you an idea of what they sell for in your area.

If you are doing an estate sale (like a family run one) you most likely will not get the piece's true worth or value since people don't like paying big bucks for expensive items at estate sales. Most are looking for bargains to either decorate their home, or flip for a huge profit.

If you learn that this piece is quite valuable (which I hope it is), you may want to pull it from the estate sale and have it sold in an auction or antique/vintage store to realize a higher profit.

Post back what you decide!! It is a lovely piece--very well cared for which is half the battle!!

Ive tried finding a clock like this and have been unsuccessful. Wondering if anyone knows anything about this and what its worth?

Answers

They can go for over $1000 on ebay. www.ebay.com/.../bn_55187180

I believe this clock will probably be much more than $1,000 as most of the Lenzkirch clocks you will find will be wall clocks as the grandfather clocks are not seen very often.

You will have to have a registered appraiser give you information on this clock and it should only be sold in a well established auction house.

I really like asking for appraisals from several free appraisers and with something like this they will get excited. They can tell you a lot about this clock but they will want several good pictures of all sides of the clock and the insides. Have you found the serial number? That is how they are dated.

Here is a link to some of the best appraisal sites.
Please - no matter what else you do - send pictures and information to several of these sites as a personal appraisal will be very expensive.
These appraisers will give you all the information you need if you plan to sell this clock.
Be sure to tell them any provenance that you have as this is valuable information.

Also, be sure to tell them where you are located.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

Here is another site to check but they do charge a small fee:

www.valuemystuff.com/.../start-valuation

Here are some links with some grandfather clocks listed for sale:

www.1stdibs.com/.../

www.justcollecting.com/.../lenzkirch-clocks

Information about the factory:

antique-clock.com/.../lenzkirch

Please post back and let us know what information you obtain.

I totally agree with cybergrannie that this handsome clock may fetch well over 1,000. These are very rare and well crafted pieces and I finally found the link I was looking for where one sold for over $30,000 at auction in 2010. There were no photos so I am not sure if the sold piece matched yours but the point is the brand is something that can command very high prices in the right setting:

www.antiquetrader.com/.../

When you have an item that is potentially rare and valuable, it is always best to leave the sales up to a professional, either an auction house or a retail establishment.

Be sure to vet the seller very carefully asking for references who you talk to yourself and monitor the sale from start to finish.

There is a lot of info on this brand online, so you may want to read up on it as you go through the process. I am going to share a few links:

www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/lenzkirchserials.php

pineknollclockshop.blogspot.com/.../lenzkirch-clock-company.html

www.clockguy.com/.../LenzkirchHistory.html

Please let us know what you learn and how your sale goes.

Thank you all so much for this information. Im excited to see where this goes. I will definitely update you on my progress. Again your help is much appreciated.

Excited to learn more!!

I have a Howard Miller model 611-015 grandfather clock in great condition; everything works. I just have no idea about clocks and am wondering how much it is worth.

Answers

Asking prices go for over $1000 on eBay.

This is a lovely piece. The value is totally dependent on where you are located and what your market is like today.

Are there very few around and a high demand? I have seen sold (NOT ASKING) prices into the low $1,000.

Are you in a high supply, low demand area? I have seen sold prices as low as $150.

That is a huge range! You will be best served by calling around to vintage stores in your town to see how much it would cost to buy one and then you would know retail value in your area.

Then you can price yours knowing you (as an individual) will not get retail value, but maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of that in a private sale (like through Facebook or at an estate sale). You can start high and know you will have to negotiate down.

If the shops you talk to offer consignment (or better yet, pay upfront) that would be your best bet!

Post back what you learn! I hope you are in a high demand, low supply town!

Online they are selling for over $1000.These are sought after and you can shop around, even do better at auction,Craig's list,Ebay,Etsy, Facebook.

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMarch 8, 2019
🎄
🍂