Determining the Value of a Grandfather Clock?

1
Share
Save
Follow
Print
The face of a grandfather clock.
As with many vintage and antique pieces, the value of a grandfather clock depends on a number of factors, including age, rarity, appearance, mechanical soundness, etc. This page offers some good advice on how to find the value of a grandfather clock, as well as, a detailed list of attributes and demand that will need to be considered in determining its value.

26 Questions

We bought grandfather clock in 1999. Sadly my husband past away and I need to downsize, I am looking to sell this beauty, but have no idea of the value.A beautiful grandfather clock next to a door.

Any help would be appreciated.

A picture of the label is included in the pics.

Label says
United Furniture
Pennehuisstraat 41 3690 Tilden
Invoice #M16818
Ref fax 01/02/99
Clock #557 Garmisch
Color E40
Grandfather movement 3 chimes U
Moonphase dial C8
Pendulum C Neuschwanstein
Brass etched weight shells
With Socle

A label on the back of a grandfather.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

There are many different makes and models for sale online. The prices seem to vary greatly right now. The low end clocks asking price starts around $80 and goes up from there. The mid range clocks are selling or the asking price is around $250-350 and the higher range closes start at $600-5000.

Most clocks like this and the one you have sell for around $350. Try and sell this locally and not online because shipping this clock to the buyer can get quite expensive and that means the person normally won't want to pay for this cost.

Bronze Feedback Medal for 2021. 15 Feedbacks
Best Answer

First off, my condolences on the loss of your husband. I lost mine almost 17 years ago, so I know some of what you're going through.

Your clock is certainly not old enough to be considered an antique, but it is a beauty just the same. There are so many things that factor into a clock's value, that you really should get it appraised by someone who knows grandfather clocks.

If there are any clock repair/sales stores near you, you could take some detailed photos and all the info on the label to them and see if they can help with a ballpark figure on it's value. They might even do it for free if you explain the circumstances of why you need to know. Good luck.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

You have a lot of information about your clock and it does appear to have been made in Germany but this is a label that apparently shows everything about the clock but does not show a brand name.
There were many clocks made in Germany and sold to stores/companies that used their own names so this more or less seems to make your clock something like a 'generic' clock and probably reduces the value over similar brand name clocks.

Brand name clocks may have the same or very near the same mechanisms but the name itself will increase the value.

I do not believe your clock is a brand name or it would have been shown on this label/certificate. But, just in case, you should look all over your clock to see if you see any marks or names that might give it more identification.
It seems that "United Family" is a large organization of stores but I'm not sure how all of that works.
Also, 1999 is still considered 'modern' or almost vintage and that just puts it in competition price wise with regular clocks in many furniture stores.

You do not say where you live but most of these clocks that are individually owned are sold a 'local pick up only' which means the area where you live will have a very large baring on the final value of this item as shipping cost would probably make it out of the question.

You can check this link to eBay's grandfather clocks so you can get an idea of how to list your clock should you decide to post it for sale. You will need several very good pictures (your posted picture is not good for this as it is too far way and also too dark for viewing) and also a good detailed description.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313...

If you check the internet for sold listings *eBay also) you will find that most sellers list/sell as pick up only. Companies/stores may ship but still expensive and usually only very expensive clocks.

You may be able to find out more about your clock if you post several good close-up pictures and information on several of the grandfather clock forums.

www.grandfather-clock-info.com/grandfather-clock-forum.html

www.discoverclocks.com/clock_forum.html

www.treasurenet.com/.../94285-grandfather-clock.html

You can also try for a free appraisal:

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

Answer this Question

I've searched the Internet but never seen one like mine. It was originally my great grandmother's, passed down through the generations so I would guess it's around late 1800s to early 1900s.A wall mounted clock with chimes.

It's in full working order with chimes and I have the original key.

It has had a new face put on by a professional clock smith and serviced.

Answer this Question

This clock was purchased new in June 1986. Seth Thomas #4490. It's beautiful and is as accurate as my digital watch. I'm just curious what I could sell it for.A wooden grandfather clock.

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

One of the collectible forums I belong to just had a discussion this week about Grandfather and Grandmother clocks and it was sad.

The recommendation for them, especially good brands like Seth Thomas is to start high and take whatever someone will offer.

In some markets they can sell for $2500. In other markets the exact same clock will fetch $100. In a third market it may fetch $900.

Yes, sad and huge difference!

Best to sell it at a local venue like a consignment store. Most antique shops will not take these because they are not technically antiques.

If you have a place that specializes in clocks, they will get the most eyes on it and you will have the best chance of finding the right person for this lovely and stately piece!

Thanks for sharing! I hope you are in a low supply, high demand area and catch fetch the big bucks!!

Post back how it goes for you!

Best Answer

Prices for grandfather clocks are all over the place, depending on your location. A 1986 #4480 even in perfect condition could go for anywhere from a couple hundred up to maybe $2,000. It all depends on the market in your area. To find it's value in your area, take several really good photos of the clock from multiple angles and with the front door open and closed. Also, take a photo of any label, stamp or plate that has the info about the clock. Then take the pictures to a clock shop, if there is one, OR look one up from nearby and call them. Ask if they have an email or text # you can use to send them the photos, and see if they can give you an appraisal. Good luck !!!

Answer this Question

I'm trying to find out a model number and possible manufacture date of my Emperor Grandfather clock. Inside, there is what appears to be a serial number of UW03078B. Is there a database to search for more info on this clock?

A tall wooden grandfather clock.

My close friend and neighbor of many years gave this to my family as a gift when they moved out of the country and I want to learn more about the care and maintenance involved to restore it.

marking on back of grandfather clock.

Answers

Best Answer

I searched the web and I think your clock is a model 300M, from the early to mid 1970's. If you don't have the owner's manual for your clock, go to:
www.freemansgarage.com/.../Operation%20Manual%201975.pdf
It is a link to a manual that shows the movement parts and also has maintenance/trouble shooting info. Freemans Garage looks like a GREAT site full of information !!! Good luck.

Best Answer

Apparently Emperor Clock Company made several clocks that look almost identical (they may have only changed something inside the clock) but gave them different model numbers. I do not think your plate has a serial number but may contain the model number.
If that is true then your model number would be #307 and this seems to be how the sellers are listing their clocks (most sellers do not show a model number because apparently model numbers were only found on the original paperwork and very few people will have this paper/certificate.

I think you will find your clock and all the other 'similar' clocks will all be considered to be in the 300 series.
Emperor Clock Company is still in business and would probably answer your questions; they may also have information available on DIY maintenance and parts.
emperorclock.com/.../about-us
emperorclock.com/.../contact-us

Example:
This is one of the very few sellers that posted a picture of their clock label and they are using the #300 from that label as the model number.
www.ebay.com/.../264793908038?hash=item3da6f26346...

I see that you did not ask for value and it is great that you plan to keep your gift - it looks like you have a nice little niche and your gift can maybe be admired by everyone.

There are several grandfather clock forums online so if you have any problems I would suggest you join one or more so you can ask for help in the future. Members seem to love these clocks and all appear to want to help anyone having problems.
A seller on eBay has a DVD available on grandfather clock maintenance/repairs but it is on the expensive side so I would ask about it before paying out that much cash. I'm sure a member of one of these groups will be able to help with this.
www.ebay.com/.../130605171057?hash=item1e68acc171...

mb.nawcc.org/.../
www.watchrepairtalk.com/.../
ihc185.infopop.cc/.../6346047761

Answer this Question

I have the opportunity to purchase a Sligh Wyndham grandfather clock. It was made in 1988, Model #0812-1-AB. It's working and has no blemishes, excellent condition.

I would like to know original sale price and a current fair market price. Can anyone help with this information?

Answer this Question

My grandfather had a plastics factory MANY years ago and used this Cincinnati Time Recorder Co. "Grand Father" clock for time cards. After that, it hung in the house I grew up in for over 40 years. Now, it hangs in my house.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this clock. How much is it worth. Is it the kind of thing that should get appraised and put on homeowner's insurance? Thanks in advance for any input you can give.

A grandfather clock style time punch clock.

The face of an old clock.

An old time punch mechanism.

Answer this Question

Handmade/kit 1977 Westwood grandfather clock made by my godfather. Just not our style any longer and need space.

What do you think it's worth?

A grandfather clock in a living room.

Westwood Grandfather Clock?

Westwood Grandfather Clock?

Westwood Grandfather Clock?

The face of a grandfather's clock.

The side of a grandfather clock.

The face of a grandfather's clock.

Westwood Grandfather Clock?

The inside workings of a grandfather clock.

Answer this Question

This was my husband's parents' grandfather clock. It is a GMK Fancher - Melrose #301. It has mahogany veneers and solids with inlay and brass accents. It has 3 selections for chimes and also a silent mode.

It seems to run great. I am just looking to see what it is worth. I'm not looking to sell, keeping it as a heirloom to pass down.

A grandfather clock in a corner.

A number posted inside a grandfather clock.

The inner working of a grandfather clock.

The pendulum of a grandfather clock.

The face of a grandfather clock.

A grandfather clock in a corner.

Answers

Best Answer

I am not finding any prices I can actually quote you on this because the few that I have found that were sold will not disclose the price they sold for. Many of these clocks are sold at auctions. I did however find one clock that was listed back in 2012 and sold but they refuse to disclose the price it sold for. However, they are willing to give you information about the estimated value of the clock. They are saying back in 2012 this clock value was $800-1200.

On another site, I see where they are saying that the clock could be worth $1000-3000. This was another auction site and the starting bid for this clock started at $1000 but then again they are not telling you if the clock actually sold or what it sold for.

Answer this Question

I've we received this clock Im trying to find some information about it and see if it's worth anything. I believe it's 25 plus years old the tag readsA wooden grandfather clock.

Trend clock by sligh

Model number 847-715
Movement 120
Pack no 195

Any info would help.

The label on a grandfather clock.

The face of a grandfather clock.

A grandfather clock.

Answers

Best Answer

It appears that people are still buying this clock. I have found an auction site that has sold a large number of these clocks. You need to register on the site in order to see what a person has paid for the clock. Here is the link if you are interested in registering on the site to see the prices people have paid for this clock. www.liveauctioneers.com/.../1968404_051082-sligh-trend-grandfather...

Here is another one that the asking price for the clock is $1750. Here is the link to the listing so you can check this one out. www.liveauctioneers.com/.../1968404_051082-sligh-trend-grandfather...

This grandfather clock still seems to be popular and I have seen a lot of them sold that were once listed online. However, I can't see the selling prices for these items. I tried to find a few that people were trying to sell but I have not found any that are the same style as yours. From what I have seen you can try to list this high around $1700 and go from there. Take the best offer if you are wanting to sell it now.

Best Answer

Grandfather clocks do not generally have the same value as they did even as late as the 90s but they are still selling - just slow sellers - may take months/years to sell especially considering that your location will have a big impact on the final value. Some areas may be in love with grandfather clocks while another area may not give one a second glance. These clocks are generally always listed as 'pick up only' as shipping would be costly and usually only done by stores.
Condition is a major concern and you do not mention if your clock is in good condition and/or if all functions are working properly.

Your clock does not have the 'fancy' top so be sure if you're looking at clocks for comparison prices that you're looking at a comparable style.
I believe your clock was made in the late 80s or early 90s (maybe 1990).
Here are some same or similar style clocks presently listed for sale. You can look at these clocks and hopefully gain information that will help you write a good description for your clock. Just remember, asking prices are just prices a seller would like to receive for their items and only a sold (identical) item shows value as it shows that someone was willing to pay that amount of money.
Using Sold prices for value is tricky as all large sold items will be in different areas than you and that good be good or bad for real value.
This clock the same style as yours and the asking price is $1,095 but has information about the clock.
www.clocksbychristopher.com/.../trend-by-sligh-triple-chime-grandfather...

This one is listed for $1,000 but notice the pick up area. You can place a watch on this one to see if it sells.
www.ebay.com/.../123241168554?_trksid=p2385738.m4383...

This one is listed at $400 - needs repairs:
www.ebay.com/.../203111421701?hash=item2f4a625705...

You can check out recently sold clocks on eBay to see what people are currently paying for similar clocks.
www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Trend+sligh...

If you wish to sell your clock you may want to consider listing on sites like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, letgo, offerup, etc. You can start your price higher - maybe $1500 - with best offer considered and local pick up only. If you do not receive any offers you can lower your price.

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles Clocks GrandfatherMarch 8, 2019
😎
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Determining-the-Value-of-a-Grandfather-Clock.html