Determining the Value of a Grandfather Clock?

As with many vintage and antique pieces, the value of a grandfather clock depends on a number of factors, including age, rarity, appearance, mechanical soundness, etc. This page offers some good advice on how to find the value of a grandfather clock, as well as, a detailed list of attributes and demand that will need to be considered in determining its value.

20 Questions

We bought grandfather clock in 1999. Sadly my husband past away and I need to downsize, I am looking to sell this beauty, but have no idea of the value.
Any help would be appreciated.

A picture of the label is included in the pics.

Label says
United Furniture
Pennehuisstraat 41 3690 Tilden
Invoice #M16818
Ref fax 01/02/99
Clock #557 Garmisch
Color E40
Grandfather movement 3 chimes U
Moonphase dial C8
Pendulum C Neuschwanstein
Brass etched weight shells
With Socle

Answers

Best Answer

There are many different makes and models for sale online. The prices seem to vary greatly right now. The low end clocks asking price starts around $80 and goes up from there. The mid range clocks are selling or the asking price is around $250-350 and the higher range closes start at $600-5000. Most clocks like this and the one you have sell for around $350. Try and sell this locally and not online because shipping this clock to the buyer can get quite expensive and that means the person normally won't want to pay for this cost.

Best Answer

First off, my condolences on the loss of your husband. I lost mine almost 17 years ago, so I know some of what you're going through.

Your clock is certainly not old enough to be considered an antique, but it is a beauty just the same. There are so many things that factor into a clock's value, that you really should get it appraised by someone who knows grandfather clocks. If there are any clock repair/sales stores near you, you could take some detailed photos and all the info on the label to them and see if they can help with a ballpark figure on it's value. They might even do it for free if you explain the circumstances of why you need to know. Good luck.

Best Answer

You have a lot of information about your clock and it does appear to have been made in Germany but this is a label that apparently shows everything about the clock but does not show a brand name.
There were many clocks made in Germany and sold to stores/companies that used their own names so this more or less seems to make your clock something like a 'generic' clock and probably reduces the value over similar brand name clocks.
Brand name clocks may have the same or very near the same mechanisms but the name itself will increase the value.

I do not believe your clock is a brand name or it would have been shown on this label/certificate. But, just in case, you should look all over your clock to see if you see any marks or names that might give it more identification.
It seems that "United Family" is a large organization of stores but I'm not sure how all of that works.
Also, 1999 is still considered 'modern' or almost vintage and that just puts it in competition price wise with regular clocks in many furniture stores.

You do not say where you live but most of these clocks that are individually owned are sold a 'local pick up only' which means the area where you live will have a very large baring on the final value of this item as shipping cost would probably make it out of the question.

You can check this link to eBay's grandfather clocks so you can get an idea of how to list your clock should you decide to post it for sale. You will need several very good pictures (your posted picture is not good for this as it is too far way and also too dark for viewing) and also a good detailed description.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313...

If you check the internet for sold listings *eBay also) you will find that most sellers list/sell as pick up only. Companies/stores may ship but still expensive and usually only very expensive clocks.

You may be able to find out more about your clock if you post several good close-up pictures and information on several of the grandfather clock forums.

www.grandfather-clock-info.com/grandfather-clock-forum.html

www.discoverclocks.com/clock_forum.html

www.treasurenet.com/.../94285-grandfather-clock.html

You can also try for a free appraisal:

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

Answer this Question

I've searched the Internet but never seen one like mine. It was originally my great grandmother's, passed down through the generations so I would guess it's around late 1800s to early 1900s.

It's in full working order with chimes and I have the original key.

It has had a new face put on by a professional clock smith and serviced.

Answer this Question

This clock was purchased new in June 1986. Seth Thomas #4490. It's beautiful and is as accurate as my digital watch. I'm just curious what I could sell it for.

Answers

Best Answer

One of the collectible forums I belong to just had a discussion this week about Grandfather and Grandmother clocks and it was sad.

The recommendation for them, especially good brands like Seth Thomas is to start high and take whatever someone will offer.

In some markets they can sell for $2500. In other markets the exact same clock will fetch $100. In a third market it may fetch $900.

Yes, sad and huge difference!

Best to sell it at a local venue like a consignment store. Most antique shops will not take these because they are not technically antiques.

If you have a place that specializes in clocks, they will get the most eyes on it and you will have the best chance of finding the right person for this lovely and stately piece!

Thanks for sharing! I hope you are in a low supply, high demand area and catch fetch the big bucks!!

Post back how it goes for you!

Answer this Question

My grandfather had a plastics factory MANY years ago and used this Cincinnati Time Recorder Co. "Grand Father" clock for time cards. After that, it hung in the house I grew up in for over 40 years. Now, it hangs in my house.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this clock. How much is it worth. Is it the kind of thing that should get appraised and put on homeowner's insurance? Thanks in advance for any input you can give.

Answer this Question

I'm trying to find out a model number and possible manufacture date of my Emperor Grandfather clock. Inside, there is what appears to be a serial number of UW03078B. Is there a database to search for more info on this clock?

My close friend and neighbor of many years gave this to my family as a gift when they moved out of the country and I want to learn more about the care and maintenance involved to restore it.

Answers

Best Answer

I searched the web and I think your clock is a model 300M, from the early to mid 1970's. If you don't have the owner's manual for your clock, go to:
www.freemansgarage.com/.../Operation%20Manual%201975.pdf
It is a link to a manual that shows the movement parts and also has maintenance/trouble shooting info. Freemans Garage looks like a GREAT site full of information !!! Good luck.

Best Answer

Apparently Emperor Clock Company made several clocks that look almost identical (they may have only changed something inside the clock) but gave them different model numbers. I do not think your plate has a serial number but may contain the model number.
If that is true then your model number would be #307 and this seems to be how the sellers are listing their clocks (most sellers do not show a model number because apparently model numbers were only found on the original paperwork and very few people will have this paper/certificate.

I think you will find your clock and all the other 'similar' clocks will all be considered to be in the 300 series.
Emperor Clock Company is still in business and would probably answer your questions; they may also have information available on DIY maintenance and parts.
emperorclock.com/.../about-us
emperorclock.com/.../contact-us

Example:
This is one of the very few sellers that posted a picture of their clock label and they are using the #300 from that label as the model number.
www.ebay.com/.../264793908038?hash=item3da6f26346...

I see that you did not ask for value and it is great that you plan to keep your gift - it looks like you have a nice little niche and your gift can maybe be admired by everyone.

There are several grandfather clock forums online so if you have any problems I would suggest you join one or more so you can ask for help in the future. Members seem to love these clocks and all appear to want to help anyone having problems.
A seller on eBay has a DVD available on grandfather clock maintenance/repairs but it is on the expensive side so I would ask about it before paying out that much cash. I'm sure a member of one of these groups will be able to help with this.
www.ebay.com/.../130605171057?hash=item1e68acc171...

mb.nawcc.org/.../
www.watchrepairtalk.com/.../
ihc185.infopop.cc/.../6346047761

Answer this Question

This was my husband's parents' grandfather clock. It is a GMK Fancher - Melrose #301. It has mahogany veneers and solids with inlay and brass accents. It has 3 selections for chimes and also a silent mode.

It seems to run great. I am just looking to see what it is worth. I'm not looking to sell, keeping it as a heirloom to pass down.

Answer this Question

I've we received this clock Im trying to find some information about it and see if it's worth anything. I believe it's 25 plus years old the tag reads

Trend clock by sligh

Model number 847-715
Movement 120
Pack no 195

Any info would help.

Answers

Best Answer

It appears that people are still buying this clock. I have found an auction site that has sold a large number of these clocks. You need to register on the site in order to see what a person has paid for the clock. Here is the link if you are interested in registering on the site to see the prices people have paid for this clock. www.liveauctioneers.com/.../1968404_051082-sligh-trend-grandfather...

Here is another one that the asking price for the clock is $1750. Here is the link to the listing so you can check this one out. www.liveauctioneers.com/.../1968404_051082-sligh-trend-grandfather...

This grandfather clock still seems to be popular and I have seen a lot of them sold that were once listed online. However, I can't see the selling prices for these items. I tried to find a few that people were trying to sell but I have not found any that are the same style as yours. From what I have seen you can try to list this high around $1700 and go from there. Take the best offer if you are wanting to sell it now.

Answer this Question

I have a Ridgeway grandfather clock purchased in 1986 with the original receipt and warranty information. I was trying to find out what its current value is?

It's in amazing shape and still keeps time. I just want to know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I just learned something about Ridgeway not long ago that they were known for their furniture, not the clocks and the pieces were more valued for the cabinet than the clockworks. I found that interesting, but I am a furniture and vintage geek.

This particular model is dated (meaning style and look are very much the country revival look that was big in 1986). Unfortunately that dated look has caused this model to fetch less in the resale markets than some of the more classic styles.

Every market is different and furniture (this is a piece of furniture) values differ widely based on where you are located and supply and demand.

If it was mine, I would hold on to it until the country style comes back in vogue and then sell it. You will get more for it. I am thinking country style should be back soon...with all of this COVID crap, people are home more and I see a lot more farmhouse chic and rustic creeping into my Instagram and Pinterest feeds...so maybe keep watch of that trend and if you see it really taking hold, that would be the time to jump on the opportunity to sell focusing on the homey/farmhouse style of this piece!

Right now, in general, you could probably start at $1500 for the piece and depending on your market, take best offer which could be as low as $100.

As a long time resesller I can tell you I would not even begin to try to sell this myself. Most people are not going to have a safe way to get this from your home to theirs and since these pieces are very fragile, the transport is going to be a detractor to the sale.

If you are able to deliver it, I suggest investing in industrial bubble wrap to wrap it from top to bottom, then use multiple layers of moving blankets. Lay it flat on its back and handle it with 3 people--one for the top, one at the middle, and one at the bottom to prevent the piece from being jostled. If the pendulum detaches, do that, and if the glass comes out easy, remove it and transport it separately.

If you can get it to a consignment store or vintage furniture store, I would have them sell it for you and let them deal with the truck delivery to the new home (and hopefully getting it to their store).

You will have to split the profits with them, but it is the best no muss, no fuss way to sell something this large and fragile.

Post back what you decide!

Best Answer

I am not sure if you want to sell this locally or you are looking to sell this online. Selling online is a bit harder because it can take longer and you need to deal with shipping this off to the buyer. If you do happen to list this online you can state it is pick up only but then this limits the number of offers you get. There are people who have listed this clock for as low as $350 and as high at $1800. You can start off in the middle or on the higher end when you list this for sale. It is up to you to determine the least amount of money you will accept for the sale and if a person offers too little then you can determine if you want to sell it for this price or not. You can also try to list this on the Facebook marketplace it is a good place to start.

Answer this Question

This clock was a wedding gift to my parents 71 years ago. It still chimes but not at the correct time and the floor in the base needs repair as the chimes have been resting on it.

The brand is - Sir John Bennett LTD London, Made in England. I would love to know its worth. I am in Australia.

Answers

Best Answer

This piece should not be taken lightly! This is a great piece of history founded By John Bennett a clock and watch maker. Working well into his 60's he became a Sheriff in London and was knighted in 1872 to become Sir John Bennett. I would contact a professional for better answers for worth and insurance on such a fine piece. Here is a link - www.bhandl.co.uk/.../john-bennett-1814-1897.aspx

Best Answer

I am finding a lot of different clocks made by SirJohn Bennett of London for sale but I have not found a grandfather clock yet. The smaller clocks in good working order are starting at $280 and going up from there. I would actually recommend that you seek help from an antique dealer in your area. Not a lot of people have these clocks they are wanting to sell and this person can help you price this clock. We are basically can only search online and compare the prices that people are selling these items at. Considering I can't find one that anyone is selling online this makes it even harder to give you the value of the clock. I believe you need some professional help on this one.

Answer this Question

My boyfriend and I recently purchased our first home. A few furniture pieces were left with the house, one of which is a clock. We want to sell it as it does not interest us, but we're unsure of its value.

It is made in Canada, has a number of 507 stamped on the back, and says "Craftline" on the front. Any ideas on a value or anything about it?

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles Clocks GrandfatherMarch 8, 2019
😷
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Determining-the-Value-of-a-Grandfather-Clock.html