Diatomaceous Earth For Eliminating Fleas

Can dogs take diatomaceous internally for fleas?

By anners from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

While I am not an expert, my understanding is that diatomaceous earth is effective on insects because, although it looks smooth to us, it is actually very coarse crystals which damage insects exoskeleton, which causes them to dehydrate and die. I can't imagine it would do any good inside an animal and I would think it would cause harm by scratching the digestive track and causing inflammation. (05/23/2009)

By zoodad

The internal digestion of diatomaceous earth will assist in ridding the dog of any adult worm stages he/she may happen to be carrying. However will do nothing for the fleas. I don't think it would be safe to put on the dog's coat either. Simply because in the process of doing that you would be getting the fine crystal-like particles airborne. You and the dog would breathe that in, not good. (05/23/2009)

By thriftyengineer

For fleas, buy "Nutritional Yeast" bulk in a Health Food Store or super market that sells bulk foods. Sprinkle on about a teaspoon a day into your dogs food for a medium size dog. Most fleas hate the way the B-vitamins in the yeast make your dog smell. It's a natural alternative, but not near as effective as a flea bath, flea-dip or flea meds! Better do something before you whole house is overrun with fleas! Nasty little critters! (05/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Under a microscope DE looks like glass snowflakes, and I can just envision the abrasion on the dog's intestinal surfaces. That and it might cause an impaction, accumulating until there's a blockage. (05/28/2009)

By kimhis