Uses for Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Fleas, other insects, and parasites can be controlled with this natural substance. This is a guide about uses for food grade diatomaceous earth.

Food Grade Diatomaceous earth will kill fleas, ticks, bed bugs and almost any other insect. If taken internally, it will also rid your dog of worms and parasites. It must be FOOD GRADE not the kind sold at pool supply companies.

You can dust it on your dog to kill fleas instantly, put it in your yard to treat it, and can also treat bedding and any other areas in the house.

I took in a dog that was on death row at a shelter to foster and he had ticks and fleas. We dusted his entire body with the Diatomaceous earth and within hours he was bug free. At the same time our 12 yr. old German Shepherd had bad worms and the Vet wanted him to take 3 type of medications that cost over $150. I started our GSD on D.E. (Diatomaceous Earth) and at 4 weeks his stool sample was clean and no signs of worms. The Vets office was shocked.

My husband and I also take it daily as 85% of people have parasites.

This site has a lot of information on using D.E. for both humans and pets. You can buy it anywhere as long as it is FOOD GRADE. I purchased PermaGuard D.E. as it was considered one of the best. I make no money from any of these sites.

Source: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/How-Diatomaceous-Earth-Works.php

We have 2 cats and small children around and even if we didn't have the cats or the small children, I wouldn't want to use the chemicals and poisons that are in insect repellants, sprays, traps etc. that are being sold in today's markets.

I keep my food grade diatomaceous earth in a shaker bottle. I often shake it on the the litterbox. This does two things, it gets the cats to lick it off their paws, and also it kills any bugs that try to get in the litter box.

I also sprinkle it anywhere I see bugs in the house, and on their canned food when I feed them in the morning.

Make sure you do not buy pool grade, but that you buy food grade Codex, DE. I buy mine from Tractor Supply.

Here is a great website with information on DE:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Have a great day, and I have enjoyed seeing all the pictures of pets that ThriftyFun pet-parents have posted!

I found a cheap and easy way for spreading food grade diatomaceous earth. A squeeze bottle makes it easy to dust under leaves and hard to reach places to kill bugs.

Diatomaceous earth (DE) is excellent and 100% natural for getting rid of fleas, but please be sure and only use the "food" grade diatomaceous earth, not the gardening kind and especially not the pool grade.

Diatomacious Earth (D.E.) is fossilized hard shelled algae. It has many uses, it is non toxic, and amazing!

It's used in many things and may already be in your home in your toothpaste as a mild abrasive agent.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Diatomaceous earth is very effective at killing ants. When ants' exoskeletons come into contact with it, they die. It also is relatively safe for humans and pets, making it an ideal solution for eliminating ants.

This page is about using food grade diatomaceous earth for getting rid of ants.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Food grade diatomaceous earth is an flea killer that is non toxic to humans and animals. This is a guide about using diatomaceous earth for fleas.

Diatomaceous earth is a non-toxic natural insect killer that is completely safe for humans and animals. This is a guide to buying food grade diatomaceous earth.

For those of you who are interested in this and wonder what the difference is, food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) is safe to eat and spread around the house, etc. Pool grade or the kind in pool filters, and is not safe to be around at all and is dangerous.Here is where to order food grade DE:

This is used for a wide variety of pest control needs, mainly fleas, etc, but also worms and other parasites, lice, etc.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Answers

Best Answer

Food grade is also available in "better" pet supply stores just for this purpose.

Best Answer

You can buy food grade DE at most garden shops and feed stores. It can be used on/around pets, the only precaution is that it is a dust and should not be breathed in. Our local Garden Guy spreads it with a 'puffer' that blows it easily.

Best Answer

Food grade diatomaceous earth is a wonderful asset for any home. As for myself, I have successfully used it to eliminate insect pests.

I have also added small anounts of DE to cat food to rid them of any possible internal worms. DE is easy to apply to pets coat to prevent fleas & ticks.

Where can I buy fresh water food grade diatomaceous earth in Houston TX Area? I want to use it as a wormer for my horses and dogs. Thanks.

Jean from Bellville, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I buy food grade diatomaceous earth at the feed store. Delilah is right. Absolutely do not use the DE meant for swimming pool filters for your animals.

Best Answer

Freshwater food grade diatomaceous earth is unlike other forms of DE because it is safe for pets and people. You can also buy food grade diatomaceous earth inexpensively online.

How do you use diatomaceous earth to preserve rice?

By Willie H. Phillips from Dallas, TX

Answers

That stuff is not for eating. It is to kill bugs. Rice keeps for years and does not need to be preserved. If you are worried about bugs getting in it, put it in a bug proof container.

Using FOOD GRADE only diatomaceous earth in food storage containers, bins etc has long been the preferred way to prevent the little bugs that are found naturally in many foods including all or most grains from eating and destroying the foods intended for human consumption.

When consumed by any animal eating the grain, the diatomaceous earth will kill worms and other
parasites in the body. Just be absolutely sure you use the Food Grade quality and not that intended for swimming pools etc.

To get the best and most comprehensive information on today's use of diatomaceous earth instead of harmful chemicals, check out this website. http://www.tuir  introduction.php

Hope this helps you. I wouldn't keep house without it since we don't use bug sprays or the other harmful chemicals around our children and animals.

Pookarina

Lilac- It is perfectly fine and safe to put in your grains to keep them pest free. Just make sure you are using food grade DE. I don't know what rice you are talking about that keeps for years, but I've seen brown rice at the store full of larvae. I've heard that brown rice keeps for about 6 months before going rancid.

I would like to know if their food grade would help in cleaning your colon.

By Allen B.

Answers

Any fiber helps in cleaning the colon. Diatomaceous earth will kill any parasites present.

Any advice for using food grade DE for getting rid of German cockroaches?

By Brad

Answers

We had a water leak under our kitchen sink and got German cockroaches -the first time we'd ever had a roach problem. I used borax-sugar for about three weeks with no benefit. DE took care of the problem within 3 days. I put it down and left it down for about a week before cleaning it up. That was 4 years ago, and we've not seen a roach since.

Where, in Canada, can I purchase food-grade diatomaceous earth?

By Nadine