Did Not Process Canned Jam for Correct Length of Time

I made strawberry jam and did a water bath canning method. I only processed them for 5 minutes and now days later I see it was suppose to be 10 minutes. Will they be alright to eat or what do you recommend I do now?

Best Answer

Undoubtedly you did not put these jars in the refrigerator because you thought they were "canned".

• I read where it would be safe to use if jars had not been opened but I would be afraid to test this theory.
  • Sad, but I believe you should toss out the contents, clean the jars, and try again another time. Hope it was not a very large batch.
  • We have all made similar mistakes so just be glad you did find out that you had made a mistake before any of your "jam" was used.

Sadly your question reminded me why I stopped canning.

Canning was to be best if you aren't planning to refrigerate....so if you would have realized it the same day, the jars could have been refrigerated and probably would have been fine.

That said, if it has been shelved for more than a day, I personally wouldn't keep it, but this is because I got sick from a bad batch of canned salsa I made.

I miss homemade and I've been reading about freezer jams. They seem much safer. Or it may work just to make smaller batches of jams that go right to the fridge. Canning scares me and that makes me sad, but sadly safety first!

If it was refrigerated I would use it as an ice cream topping or similar. I would not can it again.

so this is the reason why I am afraid to start canning or fermentation like I've been wanting to for ages. Too many ways to stuff it up and harm yourself and your family.

Depending on how many days they were sitting out, IE if only one or 2, I might at least eat them but not, definitely not, keep them. The price is too high in terms of sickness.

On the other hand i would tend to worry about things like disease and organism less with jam because it was my impression that the sugar content made the environemnt inhospitable for the worst sorts of illnesses. From this site: "Jams usually contain about 60% sugar, which is enough to stop most microorganisms growing. The high acidity also makes it an unpleasant place to breed. However, some moulds can grow even in these harsh conditions and so it is important to take care when preparing and sterilising your jars." www.theguardian.com/.../science-magic-jam-making

Food and Recipes Canning Jam and JellyJune 28, 2018
🌻
🐛
📓