Reprocessing Canned Tomatoes?

I am reprocessing my tomatoes because I didn't water bath can them long enough. The tomatoes are still very hot in the 4 jars. Do I need to add more citric acid to the jars or will the original amount be enough? I have poured all 4 jars together in one pot to reheat again.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

There should be no need to add more citric acid to the tomatoes if you need to reprocess them again. it is recommended that you open the jars, throw away the lids, dump the content into a pan, and heat again. Now pour the content back into the clean jars and seal with brand new lids. Now go ahead and do the water bath the correct amount of time.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

It is probably too late and this is already done. I am not a believer in reprocessing being safe because I got very sick from doing this.

The lesson I learned is if things don't can right the first time, use what you are able to use (meaning put it in the fridge) and freeze the rest.

Safety first!! If you are in the US and are in doubt about how safe what you did is, contact your local home extension office. If you tell me where you are, I can give you a number to call.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

I agree with Pghgirl as it is too easy to contaminate food when trying to reprocess it.
If you have reprocessed your tomatoes, I would implore you to contact someone at this site and explain exactly what happened and the second process you used.
They may tell you it appears that your food is safe or they may tell you to dump it - please follow their answer as botulism is a very dangerous thing and not easy to detect.

ask.usda.gov/.../contactsupport

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts

This can be risky to reprocessing your tomatoes. Here are facts to safety and questions from the (nchfp) National Center For Home Food Preservation . Read over these facts to make sure that your process is safe and meets guidelines .- nchfp.uga.edu/.../FAQ_canning.html

Food and Recipes Canning Canning TipsSeptember 11, 2020
🐛
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Reprocessing-Canned-Tomatoes.html