Divorce Taking Too Long?

I'm currently in the military and my soon-to-be-ex wife left me while I was deployed. She moved back to Florida and is now engaged and pregnant. We've been "separated" for 2 years and now she doesn't want to speed up the process. We both agreed on everything and now signed it once. She ended up changing it again because I found a girlfriend and she too is now pregnant. Is there any reason why she doesn't want to sign it?

By Kyle B.

We can't know what your wife is thinking, but there are several possible scenarios. The least nasty one is that she is simply a procrastinator, and she has simply not bothered to get going on whatever paperwork you have left to do. Since she is supposedly engaged, one other thought that comes to mind is that she has changed her mind about this and is dragging her feet with regard to the divorce to avoid having to go through with this second marriage.

Or perhaps she is bitter and jealous about your new relationship, and wished to hurt you by not settling the divorce, and this is causing her to "cut off her nose to spite her face".

Or, another thought, could she have the idea that you have more money or property than she originally thought, and she is wanting to renegotiate with regard to the settlement, and get more out of you?

However, I do not know if any of this matters. If you want the divorce settled, see your lawyer and find out what you can do to finalize. There is a limit to how long the process can be drawn out by one party.

I'd check with your attorney. I don't know what your wife is thinking but in some states this child will be your legal responsibility and financial since you are still legally married. That of course would mean she could collect child support from you.

I agree with previous post. In some states, if you are married, any children of the marriage are your legal responsibility.

Business and Legal Legal DivorceMay 16, 2014
😷
🎄
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Divorce-Taking-Too-Long.html