Dog Peeing Inside Since Getting a Puppy

My older dog used to be able to sleep through the night. But since getting a pup a month ago he can no longer hold it throughout the night. He is now at the point where he will wake up before the puppy to go out. If I don't open up for him he will pee in my room. I find it difficult to train my pup to hold it when my older dog is not setting the example. He doesn't pee in the house during the day. It's just getting him to sleep through the night again.

It appears that your older dog is crying out for attention and he is doing this in the middle of the night so you need to stand up to pay attention to him. I am sure you take the two dogs out before going to bed. You may need to take away his water a few hours before he goes in your room to sleep. If he continues on like this he may have a bladder problem or even an infection that a vet should take a look at.

My older dog receives a lot of attention. I make a point of it to give him enough one-on-one time. He slept through the night with our other dog without any problems.

Sometimes, older dogs develop urinary incontinence or bladder infections that increase the need to go out more frequently. It could be that this is the problem with your dog rather than an attention-getting issue. If your older dog need to go out more frequently during the day, it's probably a health issue not a behavior problem.

You may need to have your older dog examined by a vet. There's inexpensive medication that can help with incontinence issues and the vet can prescribe something if your dog has a urinary or bladder infection.

You could try taing him out right before bed.It could be he is jealous or put out by the pup,or his bladder is getting weac with age.Either way you will have to adjust to accomodate him.

If your older dog is not jealous of your puppy, than this may be a underlying health issue. Get Vet advice on how to help your older fur baby, he is older and may need checking!

I would manage the feeding and drinking time by taking the water up about 2 or 3 hours before you go to bed. Then put it out after you get up the next morning.

It could be a urinary tract infection, but probably just stress and regression over the new pup.

Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 26, 2020
🍀
🐰
🌻