Dog Won't Eat Dog Food?

I adopted a little four year old Bichon Frise dog three weeks ago after his owner passed away. He has settled in perfectly and is such a happy and affectionate little soul. My one worry is he won't eat dog food, not any dog food wet or dry.

I have tried all the usual tricks that I have been told to try and still he holds out. I was told that he had been fed only table food mostly from his owner's plate. How do I break this habit? He can hear me crunch into a piece of toast from a mile away and comes running expectantly and looks at me accusingly when I don't give in to him. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

I would say that put the dog on wet food, if you do not want to go the raw food route which I've heard is good but can be expensive.

You can get fairly cheap canned wet food

down the line you can mix it with dry food to habituate your dog to dry food if budget is a concern though wet food is probably healthier and more satisfying than dry food

Dogs will not starve themselves. I would wean him gradually off the table food. He will be accustomed to the dog food.

That might be a good thing that your dog refuses to eat dog food. Dog food has lots of unhealthy ingredients! I would say start your dog on a raw-food diet. When you give your dog raw foods, their energy level sky rockets, as well as, their skin. You will notice that skin irritations may decrease. Please see below for healthy foods that I have fed my dogs. You should try it as well!

Raw ground beef
Boiled chicken (in water)
Beans
Pears
Apples
Banana
Oranges
Lettuce
Celery
Broccoli
Carrots
Eggs (with shell is okay)

This is a tough one. Good on you for giving this puppy a home. I do raw feed one of my cats that has a lot of health issues. It has helped a great deal, but is very time consuming and you need to become a nutrition expert to do it right. I think I would try to find some really tasty wet food and see if you can get him to eat it. We have a couple high end pet stores nearby and the clerks have heard everything and often have great ideas. Keep in mind you are doing the right thing for him, even if he looks less than grateful.

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 9, 2018
🐛
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dog-Wont-Eat-Dog-Food-3.html