ColoringHair Tips

Dyeing Hair Black

I know that when you're blonde you are supposed to dye your hair a warm tone before dyeing it black, but my hair is like an orange brownish hair color. I was wondering would I have to dye it red before dyeing it black so my hair won't fade to green?

It is recommended that a stylist color hair black the first time, and then you can do it at home. You have to be very careful if your hair has been previously colored.

I agree, this is one for the stylists as hair health is important and you want to do it right, especially when making a dramatic change.

Just as some food for thought...this article was helpful for me:

www.schwarzkopf.com/.../black-hair-color.html

I am not a blonde (mousy brown--well now, mostly gray and mousy brown) who loves the look of sleek black hair--and have loved it since I first saw it a 17 magazine YEARS AND YEARS ago).

What I found interesting is how black color acts with very thin hair (which I have). That was something I never thought about when I was thinking about a new look.

After reading this, I decided to forgo the color...which makes me sad, but it is best. I guess my comment is to just make sure you consider all the options and proceed with all the best info and talk to the experts first!

If you use a nice permanent colour, it won't fade to a green. It's when you use the semis that that will happen. You can safely go black with a box dye, just to a strand test first.