Dyeing Hair With Jell-O

Category Coloring
Jell-O works great as a nonpermanent hair dye. This is a guide about dyeing hair with Jell-O.

My daughter recently asked to color the ends of her hair. A friend of hers had used Jello successfully so we decided to give it a try. I researched it online and found a method that combined Jello and conditioner, making it into a paste. We followed the instructions exactly, my daughter has very light blonde hair, and we left it on her hair for over an hour. When we rinsed it out there wasn't even a hit of color! It was a waste of products and time. :(

NOTE: We had success with Kool-aid. Click here to try it!

Does anyone know how to dye (the tips) of your hair with Jell-o? I have no clue how to do it, but it seems pretty inexpensive.

TN

Answers

Best Answer

Hey there! It's jell-o nowadays, huh? When I was in high school, it was kool-ade... And that didn't really work, either. Unless you have light blonde hair, it won't take at all... That means you'll have to bleach it first. But all you do is add hot water (not boiling) to the mix, a lot stronger than the package says (proportional to the amount of hair you're dyeing), then soak your hair in it. I assume you're doing it this way because you want it to be temporary? Speaking as someone who used to have neon hair, I suggest using a real dye- Especially since you're just doing the tips. You can always cut them off after you're tired of having it bright pink or whatever color you're aiming for. Just don't use manic panic- it'll dye your neck as soon as you sweat or get caught in the rain. Or at least it used to... :) Happy coloring!

Best Answer

be careful- my daughter has blonde hair and her dad was away for a few days and i let her put blue jello in her hair. after at least 10 washings it still had dye in it, but it looked like she had gray hair. It was a LONG time before she was blonde again. I think she was 10 or so at the time

Best Answer

I first heard about fying your hair with jello straight from a rave kid, and she did it blue. I just recently tried to do my hair platinum blonde, but since it had red in it before it kinda, failed. So now since my hair is bleached. I figure I can put any colour I want on top of it. So, if you're going to do it with jello or kool-aid, make sure you bleach your hair first, or have really light hair.

I'm going to do a test with a bit behind my ear and see how it turns out over the course of a few days. Maybe if I remember I'll post again and say how it turned out. Doing it blue, by the way.