Dyeing Your Hair at Home

I am looking to color my hair dirty blonde, but I am relatively inexperienced. So if someone could tell me what hair color I should use, what technique, and how I should care for my hair after it, it would be great. Thanks.

I've stated before, I have nothing against people coloring their hair at home. Your case is an exception. This is not a do it yourself project.

ThriftyFun likes lengthy articles with much detailed information and quality pictures. Still, I don't think they would want to devote as much space as would be required to answer your question. Since you are 'relatively inexperienced', it would be a teaching seminar to say the least. And that is if your question could be answered. With the little information you provided, it can't. Would you be starting with virgin hair? Would you be starting with black hair? Auburn hair? light brown hair?

More than likely, your hair would require pre bleaching. This means applying bleach to the entire head excepting the one eighth inch closest to the scalp. Can you do that?

See what I mean? Get it done professionally and save yourself many tears.

I've had great success with L'Oreal Excellence Creme, Emmi. It's not the cheapest product on the shelf, but I've been using it for a while now and am pretty happy with it: I love the applicator which is like a comb and helps get the colour right to the roots, the colour itself looks pretty natural, and the conditioners included in the box do a good job of keeping my hair healthy. (Bear in mind that blow-drying and using a curling iron every day on coloured hair can be pretty damaging.)

The picture on the box is a fairly close approximation of the colour you'll get after you've used it, so go ahead and choose something you like.

As to "how to do it?" The instructions inside the box are pretty straight forward. Wear something old and use worn-out towels? Hair dye will stain fabric beyond repair.

Have fun!