E-Z Refrigerator Beets

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 555 Posts

The canned beets and a bowl full of the pickled beets.This simple recipe makes great use of all the beets from the garden and provides lots of great vitamins (like IRON!) too!
Even kids like them!

Prep Time: 20 minutes with cooked beets

Yield: 2 points

Ingredients for E-Z Refrigerator Beets

1. I always cook my beets in a crockpot for a few hours then cool and strip off the skin and slice afterward.
  2. Cooking the beets in a slow cooker.

The cut up beets in a slow cooker.

Moving the beets wearing gloves.

A pile of cut up and cooked beets.

3. I added the vinegar, honey and water into a pan and heated it in the meantime, letting all the flavors blend together and waiting for the beets to finish cooling.
  4. A large pan of the pickling liquid.

5. Add the onions and beets to the mixture and fill the pint jars with both the veggies and topping it with the vinegary juice.
  6. Ladling the beets into a canning jar.

A funnel on top of the beets in a canning jar.

7. Cover tightly (IF completely cool) and place in the refrigerator. They say 5 to 7 days is best for the flavors to meld together but they rarely last that long!
  8. It's such a favorite here! I had some left over for tonight's dinner as a side too!
  9. The canned beets and a bowl full of the pickled beets.

Bronze Feedback Medal for 2021. 15 Feedbacks

Once the beets from my garden have been used up, I buy canned beets -whole or sliced, and add them to bread & butter pickle juice I've saved. I love making use of something that normally gets dumped down the drain.

I find I can add a new can of beets to the same pickle juice several times, before it isn't strong enough to really flavor the beets anymore.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 555 Posts

Excellent! I also add whole hard boiled eggs into my juice after for pickled eggs too. One could probably pickle lots of other veggies ( carrots, cauliflower, etc.) in this juice as well! Good reminder! Thanks for your comment!

Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesAugust 24, 2021
🎃
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/E-Z-Refrigerator-Beets.html