Electrical Repair for Low Income Families

I am 62 and all my electrical is going out, including my overhead lights, ceiling fan, and a few plug ins. I only get Social Security ad cannot afford to pay too much. I am scared about fire. I am not sure if the landlord should fix it or me. I am buying a "rent to to own" home. I have been here for 5 yrs.

By Sharon from Fairmont, WV

Best Answer

Re Rent-To-Own-Whether you have signed an agreement or not with your landlord, you do not own the house and are not responsible for wiring problems unless you caused them. You only own the house at the end of the period you are paying and after you sign actual ownership papers.

You should contact your landlord and request he/she fix the wiring problems. If they do not fix the wiring, you may need to consult an attorney.

Best Answer

If you signed an actual agreement with your landlord, if should have addressed exactly who is responsible for repairs, electrical, etc. If the agreement does not specifically state who is responsible for what, then the landlord should be responsible for the electric wiring and any other repairs, as well.

My guess would be you would be responsible being you are actually buying the house. My advice would be to check with an attorney. A lot of them advertise in phone books that they don't charge for the initial consultation.