General AdviceLegal

Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits

I have full custody of my son. His mother has never been in his life. She had no visitation rights; she left him with me on the 3rd day he was alive. I took her to court, but she didn't show because she is a alcoholic and has no home and no job. The judge took away all her rights and I have full custody, but she doesn't have to pay support. She is now very close to dying and I just wondered if she did die, even though we were never married, if he is eligible for any benefits in the state of Indiana.

By Casey

Call your local Social Security Office. They are the ones that can give you the correct answer.

Go to your social security office to find your answers. You will need Social Security numbers for yourself, the mother of the child, your son and you will need the child's birth certificate as well as court orders that you speak about.

If your wife never worked and paid into social security then there may not be any benefits available. Still - so to the office to find out. If assistance is needed then you should also go to your local offices for help with food, medical and housing. You will probably need most of the paperwork listed above to apply for help.