Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits

I am disabled with a spinal cord injury. My mother has lived with me to help raise my daughter since my daughter was three (she is 14 now). We are about to buy a house together, but I worry when she passes if I could survive in the house (financially)? My mother is 70 and still works to help support us. She is head of household. My question is if I'm able to get survivor benefits after she passes since we're on a mortgage together?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

March 27, 20190 found this helpful

Survivor benefits are for children up to the age of 19 who are still in high school. Your mother should take out a life insurance policy. It may be expensive due to her age, but if she passes you will get funds.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 30, 20190 found this helpful

I believe Judy is correct about survivors benefits but if your mother is claiming your daughter as a dependent then it may be possible for her to receive benefits should anything happen to your mother before she graduates from high school.
Hopefully your mother is healthy and she will live a good life for many years to come.

It appears that your mother is a level headed person and cares about you and your daughter so I would suggest that you and your mother have a serious talk about how you will cope with finances in the future when she is no longer able to contribute support for you and your daughter.


Sometimes it is best to get professional advice when trying to make plans for financial problems that may arise in the future. You and your mother should also have a will drawn up (if you have not already done so).
If you cannot afford legal professional help with these matters then you should consult your disability counselor and see if they can get free (or less expensive) legal help for you.

Actually, since your daughter is 14 years old it will not be very many years until she will be able to provide some support for herself. If she plans to go to college then she can apply for financial help at her school of choice.

In addition to your disability benefit check, you should take advantage of any government assistance you may be eligible for. Since your mother is head of the household (IRS) then you may not be eligible for some programs (food-stamps?) but may qualify in the future.


I feel sure you are using Medicaid for your health problems and that should continue so that should not be an expense in the future.

When the time comes that your mother is no longer able to provide additional support, It is possible that you may have to sell your house and consider HUD housing instead.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMarch 27, 2019
Pest Control
Fourth of July Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Father's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/05/18 09:13:06 in 775 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!