English Springer Spaniel Breed Information and Photos

A strong, compact dog with a loving and affectionate personality, making it a good companion for families with children. This guide contains English springer spaniel breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The English Springer Spaniel dog breed is one of the tallest of the spaniels. Its strong, compact build lends itself to great endurance in the field, and its loving and affectionate personality makes it a good companion for families with children. This breed has been divided into working and show strains, with the working strain being somewhat shorter and stockier in stature.

Group: Sporting group

Purpose of Breed: Flushing out game

Country of Origin: England

Average Size: Range from 18-21 inches and 40-55 pounds depending on the sex.

Color(s): Typically black, blue or liver and white.

Coat Type: Straight or partly wavy coats that are water resistant, but not thick.

Grooming: Caring for the Springer Spaniel's coat requires frequent brushing to remove dirt and dead hair. This breed requires standard care for pads and nails. Ears and eyes should be cleaned and examined regularly for problems.

Exercise Needs: This breed is robust and active and needs plenty of daily exercise to maintain its mental and physical health. Daily walks are a must and a house with a fenced yard is ideal.

Temperament: The energetic and friendly breed is highly intelligent, quick to learn and easy to please. English Springer Spaniels enjoy the company of family. They make patient and affectionate companions for children. Because they are somewhat reserved with strangers, they also make good watch dogs. In the field, this breed is steady, strong and built for endurance.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to epilepsy, ear infections and eye abnormalities.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-14 years.

Trivia: The name Springer Spaniel is derived from the breed's ability to "spring" (flush) out game from the ground.

More Information: English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Association, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Juno is a 17 month old English Springer Spaniel. We purchased Juno in January, 2011. Juno enjoys puddle splashing for fun! She loves to dive in any water that's in sight. She also enjoys posing for photos (pretending to be a furniture catalogue model) as you can see. She's absolutely adorable, I'm sure you would agree!

By Grace from Wales, UK

Juno on the floor in front of the couch.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Your Pet's Age
8 years old

Your Pet's Breed
English Springer Spaniel

How and when did you get your pet?
We fostered her at age 5. Brittney came from a shelter into a rescue. We were her 3rd foster home. The veterinarian suggested she be put down because of aggression.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
She had multiple infections and had to be spayed at 5 years of age. She was anxious and scared. If we did not agree to keep her, based on the vet's recommendation she would have had to be put down. Brittney today is the most loving, nurturing, sweet, and loyal dog we have ever had. She gets along great with other dogs and all people. Needless to say, we use a different vet today.

Comment Like this photo? 6

Maddie is an 8 year old English Springer Spaniel. I got Maddie when she was 12 weeks old from a rescue. Her previous owners couldn't manage her. Mainly she likes running around like a nutter with a stick in her mouth, then dropping it for me to throw for her. She also likes to pinch the tea towels from the kitchen and run around with them too!

Maddie is a gift from God to me. She is my best friend, and companion. She gives me a reason to get up in the morning, and even at her age now she is helping around the house, picking up things that I drop and her new trick is taking the washing out of the machine for me, although she does like to play with the socks and they are getting longer and longer!

By Ann

Maddie (English Springer Spaniel)

Comment Like this photo? 10

Winston, our 13 year young Springer Spaniel loves our walks. However the walks are much slower, a bit shorter and he does take a break occasionally. This day was especially nice as the sun was shining and the wildflowers blooming. He found the perfect spot to enjoy his treat and kick up his feet. No apologies if anyone heard me shouting to him what a sweet beautiful boy he is. He doesn't hear the way he used to. Thanks for letting me share that moment. Smiles.

By Arleen

Winston (English Springer Spaniel)

Comment Like this photo? 10

Toffee is my English Springer Spaniel. She turns one on 09/01/2006 (today!). My husband gave Toffee to me for my 50th birthday. She was 2 months old when we got her home and I jokingly call her the gift that keeps on giving because she brings me a lot of joy every minute of every day.

Toffee loves to run wild in the garden and play with "Uno" one of my cats. Every morning after breakfast she jumps on my lap and demands to be petted. That was easy when she was a puppy but now she is a full-grown dog and very heavy!

By Jazzdancer from Caracas, Venezuela

Toffee (English Springer Spaniel)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Louie is 12 weeks old and is an English Springer Spaniel.

Louie (English Springer Spaniel)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Claudia, the Bullmastiff we saw online. Starskia the Labrador we bought to keep Claudia company. We got Molly and Milly at Xmas from our daughter.

four dogs

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Think ahead when buying clothes, slipcovers, etc. If you have a black dog or cat, buy dark colors. If you have a white pet, buy light colors.

Magic (English Springer Spaniel)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes