Fig Nut Bread

I have two green fig trees growing on the neighbor's property, a Friends church. I was given permission to pick the fruit long ago by the pastor, as they do not. In the past I have cooked the figs down into a thick jam-like syrup and made oatmeal breakfast squares. This year I wanted to make something different.

I decided to rework a zucchini nut bread recipe and use figs in place of the squash. Since these large green figs are quite juicy, I decided to peel and cook them in a slow oven to dry them out somewhat. You could also cook down until most of the liquid thickens.

The resulting quick bread was delicious.

Total Time: Including the drying, mixing, baking approximately 3.5 hours.

1. Peel figs.
  2. Place in an oven proof dish.
  3. Place in a 200 degree F oven for approximately 2 hours. They will be somewhat dried/dehydrated and juice will be a thick syrup.
  4. Add dry ingredients to eggs and oil. Mix thoroughtly.
  5. Add figs and mix well.
  6. Add nuts, blend in thoroughly.
  7. Pour into greased pans. I used one glass loaf pan and one small rectangular Pyrex dish.
  8. Ad

9. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for glass pans or 350 F for metal.
  10. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. The small glass dish took 40 minutes and the loaf pan 57 minutes.

This moist, dark bread tastes great. I will be making more next season.

I have a question: would I be able to use dried figs, that could be bought in the store? If so, would I have to peel those?

Thanks for any information.