Financial Assistance to Pay Utility Bills?

I am 66 years old and really need money for a utility payment from an old bill. I'm being forced to move into an APS utility apartment, but can't afford to pay the old bill. Plus I need a bed for my grandkids.



Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 19, 20190 found this helpful

Because you are 66 you qualify for senior discounts.Call social services they will put you in line for other discounts and help!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 19, 20190 found this helpful

I would call social services and churches in your area. Both can help.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 19, 20190 found this helpful

This bill has been placed with a collection service?
Try contacting senior services or family services in your city and explain the problem to them. They may be able to help you remove the bill or set up small monthly payments. Some companies will many times reduce the bill in cases like this but utility bills are more difficult because it is a service you used and did not pay for.


Or - Since this is not a current bill (collection service?) then you will probably have to contact the utility company and try to work out a way to pay this off monthly.
If they say they no longer hold this bill then you will have to contact the collection service that is billing you.
Try to work out a small monthly payment plan but be aware - you cannot miss
months or they will make the bill in default again and may add charges.

You can sometimes find help if you call United Way 211 on your phone as they have a lot of services available to low income seniors.

As to beds for your grandkids this may not be a simple matter.
Do they live with you or just visit?
Some organizations will only offer help if the children are officially living in the house at the time.


The big problem is not finding beds but getting them picked up and delivered into your home. Do you have someone that can pick up the beds?
Most places will not offer help with pick up or delivery as their insurance will not allow them to offer this help. Occasionally volunteers will offer to help with pick up but not delivery.

You can ask at Salvation Army, Goodwill, thrift stores but none of these will have delivery service and many no longer accept beds as donations due to the extreme problems with bed bugs.

Perhaps a near by church could help. You can ask at the office (even if you are not a member) and they may be able to help you.

You can check with some other agencies but if you do not have help with pick up you may not be able to get any beds.

Here are some links to check out as these have good suggestions that may work for you.


You should also check into purchasing air mattresses from a local store as these are inexpensive and convenient if used on an off and on basis.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 20, 20190 found this helpful

If you need a bed for the grandkids here are a few places you can go to see if they will help you out. They are non-profit organizations and they build and deliver beds to families in need. You may need to fill out some information online but this is a good place to start. Here are a few links to check out to see if you can get a bed for the grandkids.

As for the electric bill you can talk with your social worker, the electric company, or apply for assistance at a few orginations in your area. You might want to check around at your local church or other centers for seniors to see hat type of financial help there is available in your area. I have no idea where you are living so it is hard to say what organization to start with.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 20, 20190 found this helpful

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate and need several types of help.


First about the APS bill, I am assuming this is the Arizona Public Services company???

They have a lot of info on their website about how they help people with old bills. I would start there asking for them to help (here is a link to their website) and they have a residential chat feature:

If they aren't helpful (which after some of the bad press they have had over the years, especially a woman dying because they shut her power off inappropriately) I would think they would be helpful.

If they are not helpful, are you the legal guardian for your grandchildren?

There are a number of organizations in your state to help grandparents raising grandchildren. I have not worked with them personally, so I cannot attest to how helpful they will be, but similar groups in PA are good, so I hope yours are:


Arizona Grandparent Ambassadors. 520-722-5945

Arizona Kinship Support Services web--

Duet Kinship Care Services. 602-274-5022

They may be able to help you with the electricity issue AND the beds!

Post back with updates! Prayers for you to find good solutions!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Better Living CharityOctober 19, 2019
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Pest Control
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 21:33:38 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.