Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Chocolate mug cake garnished with a sliced strawberry
Fulfill your craving for chocolate cake easily by making one of these delicious microwave cakes. This page contains recipes for making a five minute chocolate mug cake.

When you need a quick delicious dessert for one or two. Mix these ingredients in a mug, microwave 3 minutes and it's done!

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: one or two per mug

• 1 coffee mug
  • 4 Tbsp plain flour
  • 4 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp baking cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp milk
  • 3 Tbsp oil
  • splash of vanilla
  • 3 Tbsp chocolate chips (optional)

1. Add dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa) into cup and mix together. Add egg and mix.
  2. Add milk, oil and vanilla and mix. If adding chocolate chips, add them at this time.
  3. Place mug in microwave and cook for 3 minutes. The cake will rise over the mug but mine never spilled over. Just watch it and don't be alarmed when it rises high.
  4. Allow the mug to cool. I ran a knife around the inside of the cup and the cake came right out or you may eat it right from the mug. The chips will be soft, hot and wet, sort of like a molten cake mix.
  5. At this point you may sprinkle powdered sugar, add a dollop of ice cream or just eat it as is. It's moist enough.
  6. Ad

Now you can have chocolate cake any time of the day in only 5 minutes. You're welcome! : )

Last year at Christmas time, I needed something to give out to 16 employees. I looked for something personal and affordable. I had seen the 5 minute chocolate cake recipe and had made one. It was simply delicious and way too easy to make.

Time was running out so I gathered all the ingredients, and made up pouches to go into mugs I had bought at a local salvage yard really cheap. I added the recipe tag and gave each girl a mug with a Christmas theme on it for a gift. I added some cute Christmas themed clip art to the tag and some darling curling ribbon bows.

This is probably the cheapest gift I have ever given anyone. I got lots of wonderful comments on it. If you would like to try it, here is the recipe and the tag to add to it.

Directions

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Put into a baggie and tie shut. Put the baggie inside the mug and give it a little curling ribbon or decorative bow.

On a tag add the following: To this mixture add one egg, 3 tablespoons milk, and 3 tablespoons oil. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

Top Comment

I love this idea. I'll use it for the holidays. Lots of little gifts needed. They'll love this at school (or anywhere). Thanks

I am looking fro the recipe for a 5 minute chocolate mug cake.

By hamnurse from Thonotosassa, FL

Answers:

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

• 4 Tbps. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 3 Tbsp. chocolate chips (optional)
  • a small splash of vanilla extract
  • 1 large coffee mug
Add dry ingredients in mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watt power.
This cake will rise over the top--do NOT be alarmed. Allow to cool and tip out of cup if desired. (05/24/2009)

By Mellinda62

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Here's a sugar free version. I make it ALL the time as I can't have sugar. Of course not quite the same as the sugar'd version but for me, hey, tasted sooo good. I get so many recipes (including this one) off of a site called:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/search?q=5+min+cake

Shelly's 5 Minute Chocolate Protein Cake

• 1 Egg, beaten
  • 3 Tbsp. Milk
  • 2 Tbsp. Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup (I may use white chocolate, hazelnut or any variety but should go well with a chocolate taste)
  • 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
  • 3 Tbsp. Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use the lighter Bisquik)
  • 2 Tbsp. Cocoa
  • 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 - 2 cup Measuring Cup or Microwave Safe Mug
In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes (my microwave is getting old and needs 20 seconds added now.) Let it sit for three or so minutes (it pulls away from the sides) before tipping the cake onto a plate. Yields 4-5 slices. Place cookie cutter in the center of each slice and cut out shapes. Leftover cake scraps are great tossed into a batch of Protein Ice Cream (05/24/2009)

By Trundgirl

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Also, go to this link for some other Five Minute Chocolate Mug ideas/recipe variances :-)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/search.ldml?q=dangerous+chocolate+mug+cake (05/27/2009)

By Deeli

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

This is much better with brown sugar instead of white and 3 Tbsp sultanas, and in my 1000W microwave It's only 2 minutes, 40 seconds (12/09/2009)

By Ausjulie

Ingredients

• 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 2-3 Tbsp. milk chocolate chips (optional)
  • A small splash of vanilla extract
  • 1 large coffee mug

Directions

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil. Mix again well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed.

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. Eat. This makes a generous serving for two. If you're a chocoholic, watch out. With this recipe you are only five minutes away from a deliciously, decadent dessert.

Note: I sprayed the mug with a little Baker's Joy to insure its coming out more easily. I also think I'll add chopped nuts next time. My grandson and I made one tonight and it was scrumptious with some vanilla ice cream on the side.

Source: This recipe was given to me by a dear friend who has raised five children. I'm sure she has to be very creative with her cooking.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Answers:

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I make this in a Land O Lakes spreadable butter container. It is oblong and since it has a lid I can turn it out on a plate and slice it into four or five slices, take one and put the rest back into the tub for the next day. The lid keeps it moist and it is so yummy. Sure I could eat the whole thing at once and I have, but then it is no longer a treat. I need to use the tread mill twice as long to make up for the extra calories. (01/30/2009)

By Edith

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I changed the recipe and the cake doesn't boil over and comes out fluffier not gooey. I omitted the egg. I also used heaping Tablespoons of the cocoa. I've also added a dash of salt, and a spoonful of chopped nuts and a spoonful of mini chocolate chips.(2-3 Tbsp). I sprinkled it with powdered sugar before serving.
Use a 12 ounce mug, or near to that.

(01/31/2009)

By karifl

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Edith, not all plastic containers are safely microwaveable. The #5 type are, but I don't think #1 or #2 are. (01/31/2009)

By Nance