Coffee Mug Cake Recipes

Category Cakes
A personal cake can be made in a coffee mug. This page contains coffee mug cake recipes.

Last year at Christmas time, I needed something to give out to 16 employees. I looked for something personal and affordable. I had seen the 5 minute chocolate cake recipe and had made one. It was simply delicious and way too easy to make.

Chocolate Mug Cake

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 16

• 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1 egg
  • splash of vanilla extract

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients first in a med/large coffee mug, then add the wet ones. Microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000 watt nuker. Instant and easy 5 minute chocolate cake!

Serve it alamode, drizzle with chocolate syrup, inject with caramel... the possibilities are endless.

By Sirrush from Alamo, New Mexico

I am not a cake connoisseur but this is tasty and definitely quick and also thrifty because you don't have to bake an entire cake (which might not all be eaten before spoiling) to fulfill a craving. If you like small portions, it's good for two servings.

Ingredients

Directions

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in milk, oil and vanilla, mix well. Place coffee mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.

During cooking the cake will expand over top of coffee mug but it won't make a mess and will recede once the cooking stops. It's kind of cool to watch the process ;-)

Allow to cool a tiny bit and tip out onto a plate if desired.

And why is this "Dangerous Chocolate Mug Cake" dangerous? Because now we are all only 10 easy minutes away from a chocolate cake fix ;-)

Source: Received via email from a friend who hadn't tried it yet. Sounded intriguing to me so I decided to try it and tweeked the recipe a tad on the second try ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Happy Fall! There have been so many things going on in my house. I found this new recipe which is not probaby new to you guys, but it is to me. It is the cup cake that you bake in the microwave, perfect for me. I tried it out today, and it was great!

I took two boxes of cake mixes and mixed the dry mix out of the two boxes together. One box can be anything you like, and the other has to be an angel food cake mix. Just tear into all the envelopes and mix them together, just the mix in the box. I used an spatula to mix them with.

Then they go into a resealable plastic container with a lid. This is your mix.

Then you take three tablespoons of the mix and put with it two tablespoons of water. Cook it in the microwave for one minute in a coffee mug. I loved it, and it was so easy.

Total Time: 2 minutes

• 1 coffee mug
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1 mixing spoon
  • 1 cake mix angel food
  • 1 resealable plastic container
  • 1 other cake mix

1. I took two boxes of cake mixes and mixed the dry mix out of the two boxes together. One box can be anything you like, and the other has to be an angel food cake mix. Just tear into all the envelopes and mix them together, just the mix in the box. I used an spatula to mix them with.

2. Then you take three tablespoons of the mix and put with it two tablespoons of water. Cook it in the microwave for one minute in a coffee mug. I loved it, and it was so easy.

Ingredients

• 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. cacao (Horlicks or Milo or Nesquick, any flavour)
  • 1 egg
  • 4 Tbsp. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. oil

Directions

Mix ingredients in mug and bake in microwave for 3 minutes.

To make a pudding, add Whiskey/Brandy/Liquor to pudding when taken out of oven and add a dollop of cream.

By Marlene from Pretoria, South Africa

This is a guide about 3 ingredient cookie mug cake. Start with your favorite sandwich cookies and make these delicious, quick, microwave mug cakes.

3 Ingredient Cookie Mug Cake

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains recipes for making a five minute chocolate mug cake. Fulfill your craving for chocolate cake easily by making one of these delicious microwave cakes.

Chocolate mug cake garnished with a sliced strawberry

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I've lost the recipe for the coffee cup cake. Please help me find it again.

By Cookie from TX

Answers

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed. Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. Eat. (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

Also try www.hungry-girl.com. There are numerous healthy (and delicious) recipes on her site.

Diet Alfredo Sauce using a quart of fat free half and half. Thicken fat free half and halfwith cornstarch by placing 2 heaping Tbsp. of cornstarch in 1 cup cold fat free half and half and stir thoroughly. When the remainder of the fat free half and half comes to a slow boil on the stove, add the cornstarch mixture. It will thicken. Next add 1 cup of your favorite Parmesan cheese, 8 oz. of fat free cream cheese and garlic powder and salt to taste.

About a year ago there was a recipe here for a cake made in a coffee mug. Cake (or brownie) mix and some other ingredients were combined in a mug then microwaved. I lost the recipe. I checked through the recipe archive, but couldn't find it. I probably had the wrong recipe name. Does anyone still have it? It is not the one that was posted last week, this one used a store bought mix. Thanks.

Peanut from South Norfolk, VA

Answers:

Microwave Coffee Mug Cake Using Cake Mix

This might be the one you are looking for:

thriftyfun.com (08/15/2008)

By lewis_admin

There is a website that is called: cdkitchen.com and type in mug cakes. (08/15/2008)

By Denise

Chocolate Cake in 5 minutes

• 4 tablespoons cake flour
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • egg
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 1 Mug

Instructions:

Mix flour, sugar, and cocoa. Spoon in 1 egg. Pour in milk and oil and mix well. Put in microwave for 3 minutes on maximum power. (1000watt) Wait until it stops rising and sets in the mug. Tip contents out of mug onto saucer and enjoy.

(08/15/2008)

By Orangeville Sue

I used a recipe that called for 4 mini MilkyWay bars, but used a small amount of time, at a time, to make sure it doesn't boil over or "cobalt". Google: cake in a mug . There's a lot of them. (08/15/2008)

By melody_yesterday

I just made one using chocolate cake mix. I threw in a few roasted pecans before putting in the micro, and it was very good. I have also made them putting in a bit of jam before cooking, just swirling it around a little and they are good, too. (08/15/2008)

By lavonneann

Microwave Coffee Mug Cakes

Recently, there was a woman on Rachael Ray. Her name was Stacy Miller, she just finished publishing her new cookbook, 101 Recipes Micro Mug cakes. Thought you might be interested.

Jeanne from Long Island, NY
(12/05/2009)

By Jeanne

I have a question about the chocolate cake in a mug. It was really easy to do but it was flat tasting. Not much chocolate flavor at all and I used a new bakers chocolate container. What did I do wrong?

Jamish from Tribune, KS

Answers:

Trouble With Coffee Mug Chocolate Cake

I had the same result. It was fun to do and to watch baking but the flavor needs some tweaking. I'm going to play with it. Of course I'll have to eat all the "mistakes"! Darn! (09/15/2008)

By Grandma Margie

Trouble Making a Coffee Mug Chocolate Cake

A dash of salt, a splash of vanilla extract, a spoonful of chopped nuts and a spoonful of mini chocolate chips will perk up your mug cake. Trust me! (grin) (09/16/2008)

By Sneezytwo

It turned out perfect when I made it. The only thing I did change was to measure the vanilla out to one half teaspoon. Also, I used heaping tablespoons of the cocoa. I sprayed the mug with cooking spray for easy removal and clean up. I sprinkled it with powdered sugar before eating. It was very rich and full of chocolate flavor. Adding extra ingredients as suggested would also add to the flavor. It was big enough to share but since no one was home when I made it, I was forced to eat the whole thing! This is really a dangerous recipe, the name suits it perfectly. (09/17/2008)

By Anne

The second time I tried it, I skipped the egg (flavor was too eggy for me), and added about 2 tablespoons raisins. I also found the flavor not very chocolatey. But it's a fun idea that just begs fooling around with until you get it the way you want it. (09/17/2008)

By Jantoo

I tried a different recipe that does not use an egg, doesn't boil up while cooking and turned out a better fluffier texture and a smaller serving. Here it is:

Microwave Cake in a cup

• A microwave safe cup, 12 oz. or around that.
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. cocoa powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp. oil Spray your cup with cooking spray, just enough to coat the cup. In a bowl(I mixed it in the cup), mix together all your ingredients and stir well. Now pour this batter into your cup.

Put the cup in the microwave and cook it on full power for 60 seconds. Depending on the power of your microwave, and your altitude (go figure) you may have to cook the cake longer. Only cook in additional 15 second intervals, because an overcooked cake is no good, and it's even worse because you're microwaving it. Trust me, you think an overcooked cake out of the oven is dry and yucky, try having a solid wedge of dry microwave cake sometime. No fun.

Once your cake is finished, it should be nice and fluffy. Now to serve it.

Take a plate and a butter knife, and gently turn your cup over, letting the cake slide out of the cup. Guide it with soft presses of the butter knife, and once it's out, set the cup aside to be washed. (09/17/2008)

By Jeanie

I have another recipe for the chocolate mug cake and it is pretty much the same recipe as the one posted here except that it has 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips in it. That may be just what you need! Good luck! (09/18/2008)

By Squirrley

I just made 3 tonight. I found that adding a pinch of salt and a tablespoon more each of sugar and cocoa powder made it much more rich and flavorful. (10/11/2008)

By prairiegirl

The recipe doesn't call for salt, and it should. It makes all the difference. (11/29/2008)

By Noel L.

I agree, it needs tweaking. I add the chocolate chips too but then my grandchildren put chocolate syrup over cake before eating. This cake is the best when eaten warm. (12/09/2008)

By Mammy

I've made several of these mug cakes. I agree that they were flat tasting. I had been using whatever chocolate I had in the house. Then I finally bought Hershey's Cocoa and it has made a big difference.

I haven't done it, but I do agree that a dash of salt and splash of vanilla would probably made it better. It is still a great thing for someone who lives alone and can't eat a whole cake. After the holidays I want to try some variations and if they work, I'll post them. (12/23/2009)

By clynnaltemus

• Comment Was this helpful? Yes