Folding Plastic Grocery Bags

In 1987, when I first started picking up roadside litter, I asked my friend to save me her Wal-mart bags. She brought them to me in a Wal-Mart bag and all of them were neatly folded. This is where I got the idea of folding my bags. Using these bags, I would stuff my pockets with over 20 bags and walk a mile and pick up the litter, filling the bags as I walked. I never ran out of bags.

After grocery shopping, I put the bags inside one bag and set them in the extra chair at the end of the kitchen table. I fold them when it's convenient. It's easy and only takes a few minutes. The folded bags take up a lot less space.

I have a lot of uses for them and keep a couple in my pocket book, some in the vehicles, in my gym bag for my wet bathing suit, and usually have one in the pocket of my jeans. Whenever I need to use a bag to take something to a friend or neighbor, the bag is not wrinkled, which makes it look neater.

I don't waste plastic bags. Any excess, I put it in the car to take back to the grocery store for recycling.

Total Time: a few seconds

1. Shake the bag to open it. Check for holes. If it's not a good bag, throw it aside to put it in your bag of bags to be recycled.
  2. Advertisement

3. To fold, lay the bag on a flat surface.
  4. Fold the sides inward and press out the air.
  5. The bag is ready to start folding.
  6. Advertisement

7. Bring one side over, lengthwise, to fold the bag in half. Use the palm of your hand to iron out the air from bottom to top.
  8. Make another fold lengthwise to fold in one fourth. Press out the air.
  9. Bring the bottom of the bag over to the top of the bag which makes another fold. Press out the air.
  10. Fold over again and press out the air.
  11. Lay all of them in a pile, turned the same way.
  12. Twenty bags are just a handful when folded.
  13. I keep mine in a small box. This box contains 65 bags, a good supply for me, and there is plenty of room for more.

This is great. Thanks for sharing this.

Better Living Green Living ReusingNovember 14, 2019
🍂
🎄

ReusingGreen Living