Freezing Cookie Dough

Category Baked Goods
Having cookie dough available in the freezer can make quick cookies for snacks. This guide is about freezing cookie dough.

I have found most cookie dough can be made ahead of time and baked later. Be sure to tightly wrap the rolls of cookie dough in plastic wrap, chill in the refrigerator, and then freeze.

For drop cookies, I freeze them on a baking sheet, then transfer them to freezer bags. This works great for chocolate chip, sugar, oatmeal, and peanut butter cookies. Thaw the cookie dough for 30 minutes before baking.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

I was making cookies the other day and decided that I didn't want to bake the whole batch of dough. So, using my cookie dough scoop, I put the dough onto a baking sheet, and placed the whole sheet into the freezer until the dough was frozen. I then removed them from the freezer, laid the dough balls onto pieces of waxed paper so they didn't touch, then placed them into a freezer bag.

On the bag I wrote what kind they were, the date I packaged the dough, and the baking instructions for when I decide to bake them. Now I can bake as many cookies as I want! :)

When I make chocolate chip cookies, I always make a full batch. Since it's just my husband and me, I bake a dozen and form and freeze the rest on wax paper in the freezer. After they are frozen, I just toss them in a tightly covered bowl and leave in the freezer until we are ready to make some more! I take them out and let them sit on the cookie sheet while the oven is pre-heating. This way our cookies are always soft and fresh!

By Judy

To save time, when making cookie dough, make at least one extra batch. Divide the extra batch, and put into clean frozen juice cans, covering the open end with foil, and freeze.

I've found a way to re-use the plastic tube canisters that Wyler's lemonade and other brands of sugarless fruit drink mixes come in. They are the perfect size for cookie dough.

I love to make cookies, but with just my husband and 1 toddler at home, we can never eat a whole batch of cookies up before they are going stale. So I make a whole batch of cookie dough, bake just one or two sheets of cookies, then freeze the rest.

This video shows you a quick way to freeze your cookie dough. View the full recipe here: Freezing Cookie Dough

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes